BOYS BASKETBALL CLAIM ANOTHER COLONIAL LEAGUE TITLE

Carlin Williams, Reporter

The remarkable Bangor Slaters Basketball team, led by Bron Holland, ended their season 27-4-0, bringing home their fourth straight Colonial League Championship, and had a strong run in the District IV playoffs.    

At the Colonial League championships, the Slaters defeated Southern Lehigh on Friday, February 16 at Freedom High School’s Joseph J. McIntyre Gymnasium with a score of 58-43.  

With a fourth championship title under their belt, the Slaters were the first team in the Colonial League to achieve this accomplishment.

After an intense battle for the lead, junior Ben Holland (guard) scored 7 points in the third quarter, giving the Slaters a 37-28 lead.  

With the Spartans trying to come back with 5:30 left on the clock, a 3-pointer put Southern Lehigh in the lead. 

However, the lead didn’t last long as the Slaters dominated the rest of the game. 

In the fourth quarter, the Slaters owned the game scoring another 7 points in a flurry to take a 50-39 advantage with 4:45 left on the clock.

Throughout the game, senior Tony Jones (guard) scored 11 points, junior Holland added another 15 points, senior Saber Singleton (guard) put 7 more on the board, and junior Bernard Davis (forward) crushed the Spartans with 17 more points and 15 rebounds.  

After beating Southern Lehigh, the Slaters were ecstatic and full of energy in their preparation for districts. 

“It felt great to win a fourth championship. Especially my very last season being on the court with the team. It was an amazing feeling,” Singleton said.

Seeded first in the District 11 Class 5A bracket, the Slaters faced Blue Mountain Eagles on February 26, winning 73-57. 

After their impressive win against Blue Mountain, the Slaters played Allentown Central Catholic on March 1.  

Unfortunately, the Slaters’ run was cut short after the Vikings clinched a 54-42 win. 

“It was a sore feeling. We worked hard all season to win the district title for the first time in 30 years. Although it was upsetting, we had a great year. So, we don’t hang our heads low,” senior Hunter Kish (forward) said.

With a great season ending, the Slaters are full of pride and spirit, fully prepared to go for championship number five next season.