CAST OF 42ND STREET PREPARES FOR HUGE TURNOUT

Gabby Zeeman, Editor

With shows on April 13 at 7:00 p.m., April 14 at 2:00 and 7:00 p.m., and April 15 at 2:00 p.m., the cast of Bangor Area high school’s production of 42nd street is ready to take center stage and blow the crowd away. 

The classic jukebox musical focuses on a young girl from Allentown, Pennsylvania who is trying to make it to the big stage during the times of the Great Depression. 

“This show is definitely one for the books. It’s beyond phenomenal. I think it’ll be a crowd pleaser,” senior Jared Zengulis, who plays Billy Lawlor, said. “The whole musical is a feel good show. The audience will be able to walk away, feeling the energy we give off and be happy.” 

Aside from their talented singing and acting, each student within the musical has a personal story behind what originally sparked their interest in the musical arts. 

“As a kid, I always loved music and dancing. I used to watch a bunch of movies that involved singing and ever since then I’ve had a strong passion for it,” Zengulis said. 

This year, the musical consists of three main leads – director Julian Marsh played by sophomore Marino Bubba, prima donna Dorothy Brock played by sophomore Brookel Sabella, and performer Peggy Sawyer played by junior Gianna Graziano – each who personally connect with the role of their character. 

“I find so much of myself in Peggy. I believe something happened at the callbacks where the directors saw how much I worked and how easily I could tap into Peggy,” Graziano said. “She is so much like me. My biggest dream is to be on Broadway, and Peggy is given the opportunity to do so.” 

In order to prepare and earn the role they desired, each student had to put forth countless hours rehearsing with the rest of the cast, crew, and pit orchestra. 

“I dedicated my time to the lead role in and out of school even before my audition,” Sabella said. “Because I studied the character to get a better feel for her personality beforehand, I was able to put a lot of effort into my audition and receive the part.” 

Over the years, Bangor high school has performed many different musicals, but 42nd Street is expected to be one of the most challenging.  

“I definitely think the tap dancing is the most difficult for the cast because it’s very intense, but personally I think the pressure is the most difficult because I have one of the main parts in the musical,” Sabella said. 

Organized with such a classic plot and entertaining choreography, this year’s musical, without a doubt, will stand out from the rest. 

42 street is a classic Broadway show and it has every musical theatre element possible. It’s full of productions, tap, quality music, and fun,” Zengulis said. “It stands out from the rest because of its light heartedness; there’s never really a moment in the show where you wouldn’t be impressed.” 

In addition to the marvelous acting and breathtaking music, 42nd Street leaves the audience with a meaningful message to live by.  

“The show teaches its audience that you can do anything if you put your mind to it, and if you do good, good will come back to you. As well as any little girl or little boy that may watch the show, will learn that no matter where you come from, you can end up in the greatest city in the world, pursuing your dreams,” Graziano said. 

The glitter of costumes, sounds of tapping feet, and the warm vocals packed into Bangor high school’s production of 42nd Street are sure to surprise the Bangor community and provide something special, yet very exciting.