MOST INTELLIGENT TO MAJOR IN BIOLOGY

Emily Gordon, Reporter

Voted “Most Intelligent” by the 2018 Senior Class, Anne Wallace will be exploring the various branches of the biology field next fall at Brigham Young University in Hawaii. 

Wallace juggles her various extra-curriculars and AP courses all while continuing to stay involved with her musical interests and the great outdoors. 

“Some activities I like to do in my free time include playing the alto saxophone in the Slater Marching Band, playing piano, hiking, horse-back-riding, and being a member of Ski Club,” Wallace said. 

Wallace is known throughout Bangor High for her excellence in academics thanks to her performance in the numerous biology courses. 

“My motivation to do well in school has stemmed from one of two things, depending on the subject: an urge to accept a challenge, or a sincere desire to learn more about the subject,” Wallace said. 

This motivation that Wallace endures has encouraged her to become a part of various science clubs that Bangor has to offer, including Envirothon and Ecology Club.  

“My interest in this subject was brought to a whole new level through the biology department at Bangor High School. By taking classes like Honors Biology, Honors Biology II, AP Biology, and Environmental Science, I have only become more interested and excited about the things that have yet to be discovered in this field,” Wallace said. 

Wallace’s involvement in these clubs have expanded her options and opened her eyes to a science that she may want to pursue in the future. 

“Ecology Club and Envirothon gave me the opportunity to get a first-hand look at the specifics of ecology, a potential branch of biology I am looking at for a career. Thus, I think these clubs helped me to get a good head start in this possible direction,” Wallace said. 

Her hard work and dedication in these classes and clubs has given Wallace the opportunity to present her research and gain more knowledge outside of the Bangor Area School District at the National Junior Science and Humanities Symposium in Hunt Valley, Maryland. This competition was comprised of oral and poster presentations of scientific research that fall into specific categories. Wallace presented a poster presentation in the environmental science category surrounding the effects of stream velocity on an aquatic insect known as the stonefly. 

This competition opened Wallace’s eyes to the opportunities that the science field has to offer and has allowed the science department to prepare other students to participate in this event.  

“Although I did not place or earn any scholarships, I think my overall poster presentation was a success,” Wallace said. “Outside of my own presentation, I particularly enjoyed the ‘peer review session,’ which gave everyone at the symposium a chance to explore the research my cohort was doing across the nation.” 

Wallace’s participation in this presentation stemmed from her performance in the Elements of Scientific Research class.  

“I sincerely believe that future students attending Mr. Hachtman’s class could have a lot of success with their research at this competition,” Wallace said.  

The science department at Bangor has provided Wallace with the support that she needed to excel in school and the courage to commit to Brigham Young University.  

“I knew I wanted to pursue a career in biology since middle school, but I think a sincere interest in this field really started here in high school. The shear variety of life science courses I took here was a great opportunity to just explore,” Wallace said. “In addition, the expressed confidence that all of my teachers placed in me helped me to contemplate career pathways that I previously thought impossible for me.” 

Wallace has left her mark in the science department at Bangor Area High School and will continue to make an impact at Brigham Young University.