SLATER SPOTLIGHT: JULIA DOWD

Emma Naysmith, Editor in Chief

How many years have you been a Bangor Slater?
I’d say I’m a Slater since birth, but it’s really only been since I was 2. So, I’m a Slater since 2 years after birth.

Where do you plan to attend college and what will you be studying? What do you want to do as a future career?
Still have not decided on a college but I plan on studying art and psychology to possibly become an art therapist.

List the sports, activities, clubs, etc. you did while you were at Bangor High School.
I played tennis and indoor soccer, involved in Leo Club, French Honors Society, youth group, and managed boys tennis. Also, was in Class Cabinet for a solid day.

What three positive words would your friends use to describe you?
Giggly, “kind when you wanna be”, sarcastic, friendly, outgoing, low key, hyper, lovely, and awesome.

Who will you remember most in Bangor and why?
I will never forget all the friendships I’ve been fortunate enough to have over these years, with both students and teachers. Everyone’s always saying, “I can’t wait to get out of this town,” but I could definitely wait a little longer. I‘m gonna miss everyone because they made me who I am and we’ve seen each other grow through all these years.

I was stoked to win Clash of Classes our sophomore year because we had always thought it was a rigged system. Up until then we all thought it was for sure gonna be the seniors winning again. We had a field day outside after watching a movie, so it felt like we were back in elementary school for the day which I loved.

What is your worst high school memory and why?
Getting shut down during March of 2020 sucked. Everyone missed out on their end of the year events and experiences that were long awaited for. It was a transition no one originally expected and shifted our lives in so many ways, yet I’m still thankful it happened because things would have been different than they are now without it.

Which band could play the soundtrack to your high school career and why?
The Bangor Slaters marching band because they’re my idols, they are so good!!

If there were a movie or TV show made about your high school days, which actor would play your part and why?
Jim Halpert because he finds the humor in situations but is low key at the same time.

When you arrive at school in the morning, where is the first place you want to go and why?
I go straight to the locker room, say hi to Olivia, then lay on the bench and sleep until Mrs. Buck comes in and says it’s time for class.

Who influenced you most during high school and why?
My close friends have probably influenced me the most during high school. We’ve been there for one another through all sorts of circumstances and I’d like to believe we made each other better people along the way.

Where do you predict you’ll end up ten years from now and why?
That is so scary to think about, I really have no idea. Hopefully there’s a dog in the picture though.

Which event, events will you miss the most and why?
I will miss sporting events sooooo much. It took me a couple years to develop school spirit but I finally have it and now I’m leaving soooo. I love supporting my people and seeing everyone come together to cheer on our teams, it’s my favorite thing. I’ll also miss the dances, ironic cause I only went to three, but if you’re with people that match your energy it’s a good time.

What is your favorite quote to live by and why?
“Life is what you make it,” it’s just too true. Mindset is seriously everything. Oh and “everything happens for a reason,” because it’s true whether you like it or not.