FEY HITS HOME RUN WITH SCRANTON

Paulina Poels, Reporter

Senior softball standout Jenna Fey will soon join the elites as the newest player on the University of Scranton’s softball team beginning in the fall of 2022.

“I have known since I was little that I wanted to play at the collegiate level and I think that when my sister committed to Penn State showed me that it was possible for someone from a small town like Bangor to play at such a high level,” Fey said.

Anyone who’s gone through it can attest that the college admissions process is hard enough, so Fey feels blessed to have found her perfect fit at Scranton.

“I chose the University of Scranton for softball because they have such a welcoming team and they seem like family. My soon-to-be-coach, Cait Seamster, just came to the University of Scranton and seeing how passionate she is about the sport really opened my eyes to wanting to play for her and the university,” Fey said.

Fey began playing softball when she was only four years old, so with 13 years of experience she surely has great advice for younger girls.

“The advice I would give to younger girls as softball players is to use every moment of your free time that you have to work on your skills. I would also say to keep pushing yourself to be the best that you can and that it is okay to make mistakes, on and off the field,” Fey said.

During her time at Scranton, Fey plans to study early and primary education because of her passion for teaching kids and admiration for their wit and ability to learn.

“My intended major is early and primary education and I chose this major because I love working with kids and I love seeing their progress as I teach them,” Fey said.

When she’s not at batting practice or working on the field, Fey stays busy with extra curriculars at Bangor, too.

“My sophomore year I was in Ecology Club which was really fun because we were able to clean up around the school and be with some of my good friends like Dani Hess, Morgan Karasek, and Megan Green,” Fey said. “My senior year I decided to join SGA with my best friend Alena DeRea so we could help out around the school and be involved in the fun activities.”

While excited for new beginnings at Scranton, Fey still has one last opportunity to make her mark on Bangor. As her final season approaches, she only has one thing in mind.

“My goals for my senior year with Bangor softball is to really have fun and bond as a team especially the senior class since this will be my last time playing with most of these girls,” Fey said.

With a final season as a Slater and a bright future at Scranton on the horizon, Fey has a lot to look forward to and a lot to be proud of.