BOYS BASKETBALL (2022)

Mac Karner, Reporter, Emma Naysmith, Editor in Chief

Slater boys basketball (13-11), under the leadership of seniors Dan Heald, Jimmy Merklinger, Brayden Strohe, and head coach Colin Kessler, had a season of excitement and growth.

Following a difficult start to the season, the Slaters were proud to secure their first win against Palisades 65-51. From that point on, the boys focused on improving their individual skills and ability to play as a unit.

The season featured standout games against Notre Dame (46-43), Moravian (56-47) and an exciting 68-35 win over rivals Pen Argyl Knights.

Additionally, the Slaters played with hustle and heart to secure a big senior day win over the Catasauqua Rough Riders 68-35.

The season ended with a difficult 48-65 loss to Blue Mountain in the District XI Quarterfinals, but the Slaters can be thankful for the lessons learned both on and off of the court.

ALL ABOARD! Senior Quarry Crew leader Fred Bacon fires up the Crew at halftime of the Pen Argyl game. The Quarry Crew never failed to show support for their peers this basketball season. (Kayron Mercurius)
2 QUICK 2 CATCH! Freshman Point Guard Ari Johnson uses his speed to fly by Pen Argyl’s Jillian Pysher on February 5, 2022. Johnson posted impressive stats this season, including 28 deflections and 16 steals. (Kayron Mercurius)
SHOOTERS SHOT! Junior Guard Josh Giaquinto releases a quick three over Pen Argyl’s Trowne Irwin-hill in the second rivalry meeting of the season. Giaquinto was named First Team All-League this past season. (Kayron Mercurius)
HEADS UP! Senior Guard Brayden Strohe rushes the ball up the floor in front of the Quarry Crew in the packed Bill Pensyl Gymnasium. Strohe had a breakout senior season and was named a Lehigh Valley All-Star as well as an All-League Honorable Mention. (Kayron Mercurius)
WATCH OUT! Junior Guard Josh Giaquinto soars above the competition to throw an acrobatic pass from under the basketball against rival Pen Argyl. Giaquinto led the Slaters with 17.9 PPG and 2.5 APG this season. (Kayron Mercurius)