WHAT DO THE NEW CODES MEAN?

Maria Bartolucci, Reporter

As the loud siren comes from the new emergency app NaviGate, students and teachers should be aware of what to expect and to do at that time. This new tool has streamlined emergency response efforts.

“The NaviGate app makes alerting the staff faster and simpler in emergency situations,” head of security David Strawn said.

Medical Emergency

If a person is injured, throws up, or needs any form of medical help, the medical emergency alert will go off.

At this time, students should stay in their classrooms and wait for further instructions. Until an announcement is made, the class will continue normally. In the event a student is injured during the lunch blocks, students should use any alternative route away from the injured individual so that emergency personnel can get what they need to assist the individual.

Fire

According to the law, the government requires school districts to have monthly fire drills. Teachers are trained to know exactly what to do and what to take with them when exiting the classroom.

Students are expected to be calm and collected as they walk quickly through the halls to get out of the building. If a student is missing, the firefighters will find and escort them out of the building. Teachers will meet students at a designated spot in one of the parking lots and take attendance. Students are expected to exit on their own.

Lock-In

A lock-in is a procedure used when there is an exterior threat. This process includes barricading the door, preparing a plan of evacuation, and counter tactics if necessary.

During this event, students should sit on the floor away from the doors and windows and wait for instructions from their teacher.  Throughout this procedure, if any student is in the bathroom where the intruder is located, they should try not to make loud movements and slowly make their way to a classroom as far away from where the intruder is, notifying the teacher so the office can be notified.

Secure the building

A secure the building procedure is used when security is searching for a suspicious person or if there is an aggressive animal outside the building.

Once alerted, students are supposed to be locked in the classroom and focus on the teacher’s instruction, waiting for a report from administration to give the “all clear”. If students are outside when this procedure is called, they should not panic. The goal is to be as quick as possible to avoid and try not to alert the intruder or aggressive animal, and, if it is possible, go back inside the building safely.