DEBOER DOMINATES ON FIELD DURING BANGOR VS. PEN ARGYL GAME

Meagan Hoffman, Editor

Junior Garrett DeBoer reached over 1,000 rushing yards in his career in the 98th Bangor vs. Pen Argyl football game on Saturday, October 28.

Starting for the first time on varsity this season, DeBoer has proven that putting in full effort results in major reward, as he was awarded MVP of the Bangor vs. Pen Argyl game.

“It was such an honor. I had always dreamed about being the MVP of this game since I was young,” DeBoer said.

After playing for over nine years, DeBoer demonstrates dedication to football by his seven touchdowns this season as running back.

“I believe that I worked very hard in practice this season, always giving full effort with everything I did,” DeBoer said. “During the offseason, I lifted almost every day and ran every couple days to get in the best shape I could be in for the regular season.”

Coming out of the shadows, and surprising everyone with his massive success, DeBoer credits his teammates for his many victories on the field.

“I think the line being able to create holes for me really helped, as well as my ability to make someone miss,” DeBoer said.

On the sidelines, DeBoer has a strong support system that never fails to cheer as loud and proud as they can every Friday night.

“My mom and grandparents come to almost every game they can, as well as a lot of my close friends,” DeBoer said. “It makes me feel good knowing they’re there, and it helps me relax and just play football.”

DeBoer has also shown leadership skills this season, and is looked up to by teammates.

“Garrett is a great runner and probably one of the best backs in the Colonial League. He runs hard and tries his best every play with no doubt in his mind that he’s the best on the field,” junior linebacker Joseph Schrader said. “He is one of the biggest assets to our team.”

With one more intense year left of his high school football career, DeBoer hopes to set new records and build a team bond that will never be broken.