GORDON TO STUDY BIOLOGY

Gabby Zeeman, Editor

A standout Slater with incredible work ethic, senior Emily Gordon leads her peers as president of National Honor Society and SADD Club, manager of costume crew for musical theatre, and Editor in Chief for yearbook.

Through the years, various advisors have viewed Gordon as a natural leader who’s capable of taking charge and designating responsibilities.

“As I have been involved over the years and put my best into these clubs, I was given lead positions within them. Being able to do what I love most and guiding others to do the same is truly an amazing feeling,” Gordon said.

Since freshman year, Gordon has played a huge role within yearbook; finding joy in taking pictures, designing pages, and using Photoshop.

“I was put into yearbook freshman year because I signed up for journalism, but it didn’t fit into my schedule,” Gordon said. “Once I joined, Mr. Madden used to give me little assignments to keep me involved and I would lead the class when he was absent.”

Within yearbook, Gordon was presented with multiple skills to help her succeed in and outside of school.

“I like to think that there is always room for improvement and that my skills have only grown stronger over the past four years,” Gordon said. “Having the eye for designing different layouts and incorporating a variety of design elements can be super beneficial for the yearbook.”

Throughout high school, yearbook has majorly impacted Gordon’s life by helping her find her inner self as well as open up options for the future.

“Yearbook means a lot to me. It’s where I was able to be myself freshman year and it allowed me to open up as a leader,” Gordon said.

Aside from the course, Gordon wouldn’t be where she is today without her supporting yearbook advisor – Mr. Madden – by her side.

“I’ve always viewed Mr. Madden as a role model because he always believed in me and guided me throughout high school,” Gordon said.

Eventually, Gordon hopes to take her leadership skills to major in biology at either King’s or DeSales University in order to be a physician’s assistant. She found that both of these colleges stood out to her. With such a love for helping others, she hopes to make her dreams a reality.

“These colleges both have higher ranked programs for the physician’s assistant studies,” Gordon said. “I’ve always loved science and been passionate about helping people, so it seemed right for me.”

In order to help with her future college major, Gordon has taken extra science courses, including AP Biology and Anatomy.

Gordon wouldn’t have this set plan without the help of her family. Her cousin’s husband – a physician’s assistant – would tell stories about his career which made her more interested within the specific field.

“I’ve always wanted to help people and I’ve always been personable, so I feel as though being a physician’s assistant, and being the face that a patient sees, would be a rewarding feeling,” Gordon said.

Aside from school activities and future plans, Gordon still finds time to teach Sunday school, help at her church, tutor her peers, and work at the popular local restaurant – Detzi’s.

“At first, I believed that my mom was the reason for my involvement in church because she’s a strong member and used to take on leading roles within the congregation,” Gordon said. “Now, I feel as though it’s a part of my family and helping with different meals and fundraisers has made me a better person.”

With all that she does academically and socially, Gordon should expect a bright future ahead regarding her journey to becoming a physician’s assistant.