SEÑORA MENIO- A TRENDSETTER FOR BHS

Kaley Casagrande, Reporter

This ‘80s fad is finding its way back into the hearts of teenagers today, but for one Bangor teacher, it never left. Spanish teacher Señora Menio can always be seen strutting the halls of BHS with an ever-so-fashionable scrunchy to match her “outfit of the day.”

By definition, a scrunchy is an elastic band covered in fabric that is used to tie back hair. Scrunchies can be found at just about any clothing store, commonly in 3-packs ranging in price from approximately $3 to $12.

To save cash Señora Menio makes these scrunchies herself.

This legendary process begins by collecting scrap fabric of all patterns and textures from thrift stores. To start this process, Janet’s Jems in Portland, or F.U.M.C. Thrift Store and First United Methodist Thrift Store in Bangor offer multiple fabrics.

The piece of fabric must be at least 12 inches long and 4 inches wide, it must be folded in half inside out (the long way), sewn, and turned right side out so it is a tube.

Next, a piece of elastic 6 inches long must be fed into the tube. Finally, the ends of the elastic and fabric are sewn together to complete the finished product.

This fun hobby gave Señora and her daughter fun scrunchies to wear daily and they also took the time to sell them.

“My daughter was about 8 at the time, and we would go off to craft shows and set up for the weekend to sell our scrunchies and other crafts,” Menio said.

Señora’s scrunchies are no longer for retail, however, she loves to share her hobby with students of BHS.

“Señora’s scrunchies make me happy. I’ve worn mine almost everyday since she gave it to me,” senior Martina Sell said.