BEN CRANE: MARCHING HIS WAY INTO CHEMISTRY MAJOR

Deidra Prata, Reporter

Devoted band fanatic, talented soccer player, and chemist in-the-making, Ben Crane has displayed work ethic throughout his high school career.   

Crane’s interest for soccer originated during childhood. As early as kindergarten, Crane’s soccer skills were evident.   

“Soccer has always been important to me, since it was mainly my childhood. The memories and experiences I have gained definitely made an impact on me,” Crane said. 

Being positioned from outside back, to midfield, to forward, Crane has gained a great deal of experience in soccer shaping him into a talented athlete which eventually catapulted him to varsity. 

“My favorite memory was our game against Northern Lehigh. It was my first time playing on varsity which meant a lot,” Crane said.  

In addition to his soccer talent, Crane also has a love for performing arts, including band and choir, which has had a significant impact on his life.  

“I really seem to connect with the music. The concerts in band and choir are some of my most valuable memories,” Crane said. 

Influenced by both of his parents, Crane’s enjoyment and appeal for the arts started at a young age. For six years and counting, Crane has been a dedicated trombone player. 

“I plan to continue with the trombone as I really love to play it,” Crane said. “I have been playing it for so long and have gained a lot of experience with the instrument.” 

Being actively involved in marching band, concert band, symphonic band, pep band, pit orchestra, choir, and chamber choir, Crane has had a lot on his plate throughout high school, but never failed to amaze an audience. 

“Whether it is band or choir, Crane’s performances are always fantastic; he has always been a mature, focused musician,” choir director Mr. Dominico said.   

Crane’s accomplishments have brought him to where he is today. Making district band his junior and senior year, Crane’s determination to achieve his goals and expectations is clear.  

“My goal is to make region band again and maybe state band,” Crane said. 

There is no doubt that Crane’ passion for performing arts and soccer will continue.  

“My love for performing will follow with me through the rest of my life, and as for soccer I plan to continue playing through college,” Crane said.  

While attending either Lafayette or Penn State, Crane plans to minor in musical performance, play club soccer, and major in either chemical or biochemical engineering. 

“I definitely plan to play band in college,” Crane said.  “For the future, I want to offer lessons or be a part of a professional group on the side of my main job.”  

Being influenced by his father who has a doctorate in polymer chemistry (and is also a chemist), Crane always knew he wanted to pursue a career in science. Crane plans to follow in his dads footsteps. 

“I’ve always had an interest in science, especially chemistry and I have known I’ve wanted to have a job in that respective field since childhood,” Crane said. 

Taking AP chemistry junior year influenced the decision to pursue science as well. 

“Being exposed to more about chemistry really made me enjoy it even more,” Crane said.  “Mrs. Price and Mr. Hachtman were always so passionate about what they taught, which led me to become even more intrigued with chemistry.” 

Whether it’s putting on a phenomenal performance in front of an audience, playing varsity soccer, or excelling in science, Ben Crane has impressed Bangor spectators through his many talents.