MENECOLA AND BAADSVIK AWARDED SCHOLAR ATHLETE

Meagan Hoffman, Editor

Performing impressively well in academics and athletics, seniors Alayna Menecola and Andre Baadsvik were named Bangor High School’s 2018 male and female scholar athletes.

“It was definitely an honor to be named our female scholar athlete. I’ve worked exceptionally hard in my academics throughout my high school career, and have always pushed myself to do better in my classes, as well as on the field,” Menecola said. “This award really represents my strong work ethic and translates well to the type of student athlete I am.”

Both scholar athletes received immense support from peers, family, and teammates.

“My parents are definitely my biggest supporters because they have always pushed me to do my best in both sports and academics. Coach Wehr is also a huge supporter because he pushed me to work hard and make my senior year of soccer a year to remember,” Baadsvik said.

Off the soccer field, Baadsvik’s teachers inspire him to improve.

“Mrs. Laurito really pushed me to further my knowledge in math by taking calculus II at Moravian after convincing me to take super calculus last year,” Baadsvik said.

At the banquet, Baadsvik and Menecola were joined by other scholar athletes from 40 different schools. Feeling proud, both enjoyed the delectable meal with their families.

“We had a family style dinner with dessert at the end. I brought both sets of my grandparents, my sister, my parents, and my great -grandma. The atmosphere was really nice, and there were even little green trees with white lights on them for decoration,” Menecola said.

With this impressive award under his belt, Baadsvik has certainly paved a successful future for himself.

“I plan on going to college to major either in mechanical or computer engineering, but I am still unsure about where exactly I will choose to attend,” Baadsvik said.

Also on her way to a bright future, Menecola will attend Lehigh University in the fall of 2018 to major in health, medicine, and society at the College of Arts and Sciences.

“In my opinion, I have always through Lehigh was a beautiful school. The university is competitive with top professors and overall high rankings which really struck out to me as being something I’d love to be a part of,” Menecola said. “Lehigh is also a science oriented college, which applies to my major and interests.”

Congratulations to Alayna Menecola and Andre Baadsvik.