SASCHA GUTIERREZ TO STUDY CRIMINOLOGY

SASCHA GUTIERREZ TO STUDY CRIMINOLOGY

Gabby Zeeman, Editor

Dedicated Slater Sascha Gutierrez excels within various clubs – Aevidum, National Honor Society, and Senior Class Cabinet – and has earned the Widener leadership award. Gutierrez hopes to study criminology in college.

To stay involved, Gutierrez continues to be an active member of Aevidum where she helps spread positivity between classmates. Her love for Aevidum sparked from how large of a role the club plays throughout the school.

“Not only do we spread school spirit, but we also provide safe places for anybody that needs to talk to someone, or just needs something to be part of,” Gutierrez said. “I find it exciting and interesting when we all work together to come up with ideas on how we can benefit the entire school.”

Gutierrez also plays an active role within Senior Class Cabinet, allowing her to keep up with her school work and interact more with school events.

“This club helps me not only be aware of what is occurring in our school that impacts the student body, but it also gives me the opportunity to express my thoughts and work with other students to make decisions that we feel would benefit the class,” Gutierrez said.

Gearing up for her future, Gutierrez applied for National Honor Society to take part in more community service activities to have more experience under her belt.

“I enjoy National Honor Society because not only is it a selective program, so it was something I had to work for, but it also plays an important part in the community,” Gutierrez said. “Just recently we sent care packages to Bangor Alumni who are employed in the military and we also sold the shirts supporting the pink out football game.”

More specifically, Gutierrez participates within the Bangor Borough Council where she volunteers to help others and those of need.

“I participate in a toy drive every year in New York,” Gutierrez said. “We team up with the police department in toy collection, and then we distribute the toys to the children of the neighborhood.”

With her solid resume of achievements and club work, Gutierrez received the Widener University Leadership award allowing her to have a positive outlook when applying for future colleges.

“I received this award because I not only gave new students tours around the school and made sure that they familiarized themselves with their teachers and other students, but I also gave students who were alone during lunch a place to sit with company,” Gutierrez said.

After earning their leadership award, Gutierrez looked more into Widener, applied, and is now accepted.

“Widener was never on my radar until I got the award, and then I visited and did some research and found that I would actually really enjoy going there,” Gutierrez said.

Gutierrez is also waiting on a word from Penn State University. With high hopes, she plans to major in criminology at either school. Gutierrez finds that both colleges stand out from the rest.

“I would like to go to either of these schools because not only do they have my criminology major, but they also have a super intriguing environment for students and many extracurriculars that I would like to be a part of,” Gutierrez said.

For a career, Gutierrez hopes to be a criminal behavior analyst, a criminal profiler, or work for the FBI Behavioral Analysis Unit.

“The show Criminal Minds got me interested in criminology,” Gutierrez said. “I have always been interested in psychology and law, and this field offers a happy medium.”

To get this far took work ethic, for which Gutierrez credits her grandfather.

“He moved from the Dominican Republic to America, began a new life for himself, and now owns a successful construction company,” Gutierrez said. “I think that it’s awesome how he built himself up and kept pushing to be more educated.”

Gutierrez also aspires to be like her oldest cousin Andrew. Because he stands as an excellent role model, she looks up to him every day.

“We grew up together, so it’s not hard for me to see his success as something I can accomplish,” Guttierez said. “He finished school and is now an anesthesiologist, which shows me that you have to work hard to get far.”

In addition to her club engagement, Gutierrez spends her spare time reading and helps organize books in the library during school. Outside of school, she enjoys baking, taking pictures, and watching episodes of her favorite TV series.

“I like capturing moments, such as taking a picture of someone smiling right before they start laughing, because in that moment the smile is sincere and they aren’t simply posing, but they are smiling with actual joy,” Gutierrez said.

With her involvement and willingness to succeed, there’s no doubt that Gutierrez will be reviewing and investigating crimes in the near future.