ALICE SYSTEM PREPARES BHS FOR THREATS

Amelia O'Brien, Head Editor

In light of recent threatening events taking place across the country, Ms. Gary introduced the ALICE system, a new way of countering attacks and minimizing casualties, in a special announcement on Tuesday, February 10. 

The new system is a change to the previous “lockdown only” system and has been proven more effective. ALICE is an acronym for: 

A- Alert nearby teachers or students of any suspicious activity or information you see or overhear. Even if no physical danger is immediately present, let someone know. Ideally, if a plan is discovered before it is put into action it can be prevented, potentially saving lives.

L- Lockdown your classroom by barricading the door with desks, cabinets, and various other items found in the classroom. Teachers will ensure the door is locked and the lights are out. Then, hide out of sight of the door and remain quiet.

I- Inform the office and police about the situation. Give as much information as you can, especially where in the building the attacker is.

C- Counter the intruders advances by throwing books, chairs, or other items at them if they enter the classroom. Try to rush the intruder and overpower them. Get the weapon out of their hand and kick it across the room. Do not pick it up but ensure the intruder cannot access it.

E- Evacuate the immediate site and building as soon as safely possible. Priority number is getting a safe distance from the attacker.

When considering these options, the first and most important step is to alert and inform. The key to minimizing danger in an attack is to let others know. Suspicious activity or information also require immediate attention.

When teachers are made aware of a dangerous situation, they inform the office which will immediately alert the school over the loudspeakers. This provides other students time to find safety and prepare.

Prevention is key in staying protected against a school shooting. It is important that if any threatening actions or language is seen or heard students take action immediately and inform a teacher.

Students should look for warning signs in other people, including friends.

Warning signs to watch for are: a negative change in attitude, verbal or written threats, newfound interest in destructive weaponry, or threatening social media posts. Ultimately, students must be cognitive of those around them.

Preventing a school shooting starts at the lowest level. Students must look out for one another and get help for before a situation gets out of hand.

The guidance office is available to meet with anyone who needs help. Students can stop a dangerous situation before it happens by being proactive and taking action.