BRANDS BRINGS CREATIVITY TO TEMPLE

Emily Gordon, Reporter

Musically inclined creative genius Olivia Brands is taking her favorite high school activities with her to Temple University. Brands occupies her time with musical theatre, various types of band and choir, as well as making promotional videos for the school news.  

“I was involved in concert band, jazz band, marching band, and pep band. I was also a part of multiple choirs, such as symphonic choir, chamber choir, women’s chorale, and the top 16 choir. I have been a part of the musical casts and musical theatre. I was also involved in district and region choir festivals,” Brands said.   

Brands intends to offer the same commitment to these organizations at Temple in the fall of 2018 by becoming a member of their marching and concert band.  

“I think the Temple marching band reminds me a lot of the style that the Bangor marching band has,” Brands said. “This is what made me like it so much and want to be a part of it.” 

Her dedication to these various extracurricular activities has brightened her future in a direction where she will prosper.   

“In 42nd Street, my part is Maggie Jones and I’m pretty much the comic relief of the show,” Brands explained. “I love playing Maggie because she’s just fun and she can lighten any situation with her humor.” 

Even as Brands steals the show, she is able to express herself. 

“Musical has taught me more than just musical qualities, I have also made friends and have been able to be a part of something more and tell a story to the community,” Brands said.  

Brands’s experience in musical theatre has helped her excel in the video production and promotional world.  

“Since middle school I have been making short films and attending film and editing classes at Penn State camp and Totts Gap University. I have also made promos and videos for school. I love watching movies and hope for the opportunity to create my own in the future,” Brands said.  

Mr. Brewer’s video production class and an array of other classes have kept Brands interested in the goal of one day making her own movie. 

“I would like to make a creative, fiction movie series one day. I don’t plan on necessarily writing it myself with the degree I’m going for but I can work on set for other people’s movies and tv shows, helping them create movies I’m interested in,” Brands said.  

Brands was encouraged by her loving parents and supportive teachers to follow the path of video production at Temple University. Brands has also gained insight within the realm of video production through her mentors at the Penn State camp and during her class with Mr. Brewer.  

“Olivia was a great student. She got all of her work done without being told twice. She’s creative and outgoing. She was also very helpful to other students in helping them get their projects done,” Mr. Brewer said. 

Brands’s strong work ethic will lead to a successful path in college where she will stay motivated to create her own movie one day.