ISABEL SMITH: AN EVEN GREAT(ER) SLATER

Montana Cassaro, Reporter

Devoted to helping others and making a change in the community, junior Isabel Smith leaves a positive impact on the hearts of those she meets. 

When Smith isn’t cheering on the Slaters in the stadium or on the court, she enjoys helping with a variety of high school clubs in her free time. 

“I really enjoy being involved with my school and community. It makes me feel good about myself,” Smith said.

Smith’s involvement in school activities ranges from being president of the Pennsylvania Youth Leadership Network (PYLN) and Greater Slater to being heavily involved with the Ecology Club, Leo Club, and the musical. 

“In Leo Club, I was nominated to a leadership camp. It was truly an honor since I was the first student at Bangor to be elected,” Smith said.  

Smith dedicates most of her time to PYLN and Greater Slater. PYLN is a statewide affiliate club filled with young adults with and without disabilities that help each other with life’s obstacles. Greater Slater is a school wide club,but has very much the same goal. 

“I joined Greater Slater in middle school, and once I got to the high school I joined PYLN,” Smith said. “I have had this dream of becoming an occupational therapist which made helping the Bangor High community a lot more fun and educational.”  

Smith has kept busy going above and beyond to help her community. In addition to some of the clubs she’s in, Smith and Greater Slater visit nursing homes during the holidays to help spread holiday cheer.  

“Watching [residents’] faces light up makes my day. I realize that the littlest things make them so happy, “Smith said. 

As President of Greater Slater and PYLN, Smith also oversees activities that involve both the club members and the community. So, while most of Smith’s charitable work is done in school, she also contributes a lot of her time outside of school. 

“Community involvement has always been important to me. I volunteer at my church and Musikfest because it keeps me busy and I like being a helpful person, “Smith said. 

Though being president of Greater Slater comes with many responsibilities, seeing the impact  made it worth it. 

“Once a year the club gets to go to an Iron Pigs baseball game, which is awesome. On top of the fun field trips, we have bake sales and car washes that help raise money for Autism Awareness,” Smith said. 

As Smith’s junior year comes to an end, she is beginning to start her college search at Misercordia University. 

“I really loved the campus. It’s close to home and it’s not near a big city. Everyone seems so nice there,” Smith said.  

No matter where her future takes her, Smith is bound to inspire others around her with her kind aura and outgoing personality.