MILLER TO ATTEND DESALES UNIVERSITY

Autumn Bird, Reporter

Whether she’s exploring the outdoors or working a lab, senior Jolene Miller excels at anything related to science.

Miller’s strong interest in science was sparked freshman year when she discovered her love for the outdoors. Now, Miller takes advantage of her spare time by hiking and taking in the beauty of nature.

“I don’t like to waste my days sitting around inside when I can be out enjoying the warmth of the sun,” Miller said. “When I’m not outside, I spend time focusing on my favorite subject. Science has always been one of my strongest subjects in school and I really took a deep interest in not only how the body works, but also different mutations that can cause health issues.”

In addition to academics, Miller dedicates her time to the Student Government Association (SGA), and working as secretary of the Senior Class Cabinet. Her leadership in the school has helped make a positive impact on her peers.

“I started SGA because I saw how much they did for the school and wanted to be a part of something that had such an impact on the student body,” Miller said. “I started class cabinet last year with hopes of bringing new ideas for fundraising as well as helping in the preparation of prom, senior banquet, senior day, and graduation. I feel that it is important to run all of these events in a way that many of the students who participate in them can enjoy themselves to make the school a better, more enjoyable place.”

Overall, Miller’s involvement in high school activities has helped prepare her for her future at DeSales University where she will continue her scientific studies and pursue a career as a physician assistant, hoping to specialize in oncology – the study and treatment of tumors.

Miller is interested in oncology because it is a very up-and-coming field with cutting-edge research. She also wants to help make people feel as comfortable as possible despite their long term illness. DeSales is the perfect fit for Miller’s goals.

“DeSales is fairly well known for their incredible medical labs and their huge reputation for physician assistant programs. I took a class at DeSales in the fall and that is when I really knew I wanted to attend college there,” Miller said.

Knowing this is where her future awaits, Miller plans to prepare herself for all obstacles.

“I definitely must acquire the ability to handle long days with early mornings and late nights, which is going to take some getting used to,” Miller said. “I will need to be prepared to pay close attention to every small detail as well as being able to work as a team and not always have things go my way.”

As her senior year comes to an end, Miller hopes to get an internship or accepted into a school-work program to expose herself to the fast paced hospital life.

“I feel it is important to get a quantity of healthcare experience in during my first two years in case I decide it’s not the right career for me and I don’t waste all of college on a major that I don’t end up pursuing a career in,” Miller said.

Through it all, Miller looks up to her older sister. Without the tremendous support from her family and closest friends, Miller would not be where she is today.

“I look up to my older sister, Sam. She’s made it so far in the healthcare field and has shown me that anything is possible if you try hard enough,” Miller said.

No matter what route she ends up taking, Miller is sure to be successful and put a smile on everyone’s face.