BOYS TRACK AND FIELD JUMPING BACK INTO SEASON

Meagan Hoffman, Editor

Led by Coach Scagliotta, the boys track and field jumpers are bringing their best hops to practice in hopes to score well upcoming meets.

Seniors Tony Jones and Angel Rivera, juniors Isaiah Jones, Noah Berger, Akash Sareen, and sophomore Carlos Colon, will compete in various events, such as high jump, triple jump, long jump, throughout the season. Pole vaulters senior Dominic Vicario, junior Austin Medina, and sophomore Derek Lasher will also be taking to the skies.

“I’m looking forward to watching our team shatter records and see Tony Jones break seven feet in high jump,” Sareen said. “I also can’t wait to see who will beat Coach Scag’s record first, it’s a pretty close competition between Angel Rivera and Tony Jones.”

Seasoned track and field jumpers are prepared to break new records and test their limits to secure the gold.

“We have a lot of jumpers coming back from last year that have a lot of experience in leagues and other meets, so as long as we practice and keep pushing we will just keep getting better,” Berger said.

With a personal long jumping record of 22 feet, Rivera is fully prepared to bring his best to the field with his determination to finally break the school record.

“Long jumping really pushes you to your limits and outside of your comfort zone,” Rivera said. “I’ve been determined to break the school record of 23 feet since my freshman year. In order to do so, I’ve been working out a lot, as well as building up my stamina since long jumping wears out your knees.”

Pole vaulters Medina, Lasher, and Vicario are also ready to launch into their track and field season. Led by Bangor alumnus and coach Keith Frankenfield, former pole vaulting school record holder with 13 feet 1 inch, the boys are ready to take flight.

“I didn’t really like my performance last year, but this year I am going to go into the season with a more technical approach to improve myself,” Medina said. “Instead of just going into each meet and practice with confidence, I am going to make my techniques solid to improve not just mentally, but physically as well.”

Cheer on the boys at their next track meet on Thursday, April 5, 2018.