LEE ROUSON ADDRESSES FRESHMEN CLASS

Thomas Schaible, Writer

Lee Rouson, a two-time Super Bowl Champion for the New York Giants, came to Bangor High School to give some valuable life lessons to the class of 2021on February 28 in the Craig Paine Theater.

Rouson’s speech covered many relevant topics and he educated the students about the meaning of teamwork and the importance of working together to achieve a common goal, which will be important for the future leaders of America.

Rouson constantly reiterated the statement “This generation can bring change to America, if we just remember who we are.” He also continuously asked the class “who are you?” to emphasize the weight of that simple question. The answer however, was not always so straight forward for Rouson, especially in his younger years.

“When people asked me who I was, I would respond with ‘I’m black.’ This was an obstacle for me growing up because I lived through the Civil Rights Movement so I had to live through many struggles,” Rouson said.

Still, Rouson added a positive spin quoting Malcom X, saying “Color does not matter” because anyone can achieve the impossible and that nothing is out of reach when you do not give up.

Another issue Rouson covered was fear, something students all struggle with. He stated that “Fear is a thief and a liar,” and left the students with a powerful acronym for deconstructing fear, “False, Evidence, Appearing, Real.”

He went on to say that the past should not hold anyone back and there is always hope.

“The past is history, the future is a mystery, but now is a gift. That’s why it’s called the present,” Rouson said.

Rouson said he did not let his skin color get in the way of his dreams. He never quit his goals of becoming a professional football player and he ended up winning two Super Bowls with the Giants. He credits his success to his previous obstacles because they made him into a stronger player and a better person overall.

Rouson’s words had a positive impact on many of the students’ lives.

“Lee Rouson really inspired me to chase down my dreams and to never give up,” freshman Mattie Albert said.