JOE CAICEDO: BEST MUSTACHE

Montana Cassaro, Reporter

Senior Joe Caicedo, who has always impressed students with his exquisite handlebar mustache, plans to attend a trade school to learn welding and machine work so he can move straight into the work force. 

What are you doing after high school and why? 

I’m going to try and earn certificates in welding and as a machinist. Both jobs are well respected and pay a hefty salary as well as provide a plethora of job opportunities in the field. 

How did you prepare yourself for college? / What classes did you take throughout high school to help you with your intended major? 

It wasn’t until my senior year that I made up my mind that I wanted to make a career out of a trade, so I didn’t prepare much for it in my high school career. I never attended CIT because I originally wanted to be a sports medicine expert and took numerous classes in biology and anatomy to prepare for that career. 

What/who inspired you to grow a mustache? 

The inspiration came from a YouTube video of all things. I was watching something and the person who made the video had a handlebar mustache and I thought it looked cool, so I tried it. My facial hair was already long enough so I was able to try it right away. There is no deep meaning behind it, I just tried it and it’s stuck with me ever since. 

Explain your mustache maintenance routine  

Contrary to popular belief, I don’t use any type of wax or product in my mustache daily. It just naturally curls up because the hair is trained to go the way I want it to go… most of the time. My daily maintenance consists of showering in the morning and when my hair dries it already curls. Throughout the day I just constantly twist it as many people could tell you. Occasionally I’ll use wax if it’s being stubborn, but it’s a rare occurrence for me.  

Will you ever shave it?  

I’ll probably shave it someday once I can get my mustache to connect to my beard. The goal is to have a thick beard and mustache combo, but I’m working on it.  

Best reaction to your mustache?  

The best reaction I get when it comes to my mustache is people assuming I’m older than I am. They all think I’m at least in my early to mid 20s, and when they find out I’m only 17 a look of shock comes over their face and it makes me laugh every time.  

Worst reaction to your mustache?  

I don’t have a worst reaction except the occasional “You should shave it.” Other than that people don’t freak out or treat me differently because of it thankfully.  

How do your parents feel about it/ do they like it?  

I’ve had it for so long now that my parents are indifferent about it. It doesn’t bother them because they’re used to seeing me with it. My mom says it’s my calling card and something people recognize me for. ZZ Top has their beards and I have my mustache I guess. As for my dad, it doesn’t affect him at all. He likes the facial hair combo and if it wasn’t for his job he would grow a beard and mustache too, but I don’t think he would do a handlebar like me.  

What advice do have to help people grow a mustache like yours?  

Have good genetics, and just let your facial hair grow. It takes a lot longer for a mustache to grow than a beard, so just letting it grow is the only way to achieve a good mustache. As I said before, having good genetics helps. If it’s not in your DNA, you’re just not going to grow one, sorry.  

Who will you remember most in Bangor and why?  

My fourth-grade teacher Mr. Faisetty is the person I’ll remember the most. He was my first guy teacher which was a huge stepping stone for any young boy in elementary school and to this day is still the best teacher I have ever had and made the most memories with. 

My best high school memory happened in the gym when I was a freshman. We were playing sharks and minnows and I was the last person in when I broke the shark’s ankles and the person who shall remain nameless completely fell to the floor. The entire gym class exploded, and I was excited as a freshman because I did something cool.  

What is your worst high school memory and why?  

My worst high school memory was a funny one. I was driving through the parking lot at the beginning of the school day and I had to unload a fish tank to bring t bring it to a class, so I had a friend in the bed of my truck holding it to make sure it didn’t shift, and Mrs. McNew reprimanded me for it. Nothing against her; she was just doing her job.  

Which band could play the soundtrack to you high school career and why?  

Plain and simple, it would be Pantera when Dimebag was still alive. I don’t like modern pop or rap music, so I would stick with my favorite band. The only reason is because Pantera is my favorite band. If I couldn’t pick them it would be another metal group like Korn because I’m a metal head.  

If there were a movie made about your high school days, which actor would play your part and why?  

I’m going to have to go with Ryan Reynolds. The reason is because I think he’s funny and could portray my personality perfectly. He could act annoying but at the same time still have a heart.  

Who influenced you the most in high school?  

My biggest influence in high school was without a doubt my dad. He set the example for me and worked hard his whole life to get where he is, and I want nothing less than to walk in his shoes someday.  

Where do you predict you’ll end up ten years from now and why?  

Ten years from now I predict I’ll have a house of my own with a good amount of land to go with it living a happy life married to my wife. Welders and machinists make a good amount of money, so I feel I’ll be able to afford a house and some land to go with it. As for being married, doesn’t everyone predict that as their future?  

Which event/events will you miss the most and why?  

The events I will miss the most are probably playing handball in gym, assuming we’re talking about school events. I’ll miss handball the most because gym was the most fun for me and everyone knows handball was the most lit game.  

What is your favorite quote to live by and why?  

The quote I try and live by is Romans 1:16. “For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes.” If you aren’t living for God, then what are you living for? One day I hope to enter the gates of Heaven and hear well done my good and faithful servant. To hear those words, I can’t be ashamed of the gospel and must proclaim it. The verse is just a daily reminder of what is to come.