‘CRUZ’ING TO ESU AND BEYOND

LOUD+AND+PROUD%21+Senior+Madison+Cruz+sings+a+solo+in+the+song+Ride+on+King+Jesus+performed+by+the+Chamber+Choir.+

LOUD AND PROUD! Senior Madison Cruz sings a solo in the song “Ride on King Jesus” performed by the Chamber Choir.

Amelia O'Brien, Editor in Chief

Senior Madison Cruz has graced the theatrical stage of Bangor Area High School’s music program with her undeniable vocal talent for the last time at this year’s production of 42nd Street.  

Cruz played Millie in the musical, a supporting cast role featuring lines and solos throughout the production. She was also a featured dancer, thanks to her experience and focus on her feet. 

“My favorite part about my role was getting to be in all sorts of different scenes and getting to wear so many different costumes,” Cruz said. 

Her musical prowess doesn’t stop when she steps off stage as Cruz is an essential member of the choir. She participates in Women’s Chorale, Chamber Choir, Symphonic Choir, 2017 and 2018 District Choir, 2018 Regional Choir, and 2018 State Choir. 

Most notable among her various accomplishments is her placement at districts, regions, and states this year. At this year’s district competition around 250 girls auditioned in Cruz’s category, Soprano II, of which the top thirty reaudition for regions where they compete with another district’s top thirteen. Finally, the top six from regions move onto the state competition.  

This year Cruz placed thirteenth in the district competition, fifth in the regional competition, and ninth in the statewide competition. Cruz trained hard this year to improve after her eighteenth-place finish last year at districts. 

“The most challenging thing for me was sight singing, which is when you get a piece of music you don’t know and you have to sing it with just the starting pitch,” Cruz said. “That was the hardest for me junior year when I auditioned for districts. I made it in, but I only got a 1 out of 10 in sight reading which is really bad, so I’ve always struggled with that.” 

Along with vastly improving her sight-reading skills, Cruz has also fought to overcome her stage fright and has undoubtedly won. 

“I used to have terrible stage fright. It used to be so bad sometimes I wouldn’t even be able to make a noise come out of my mouth I was so nervous!” Cruz said. “I feel like now making states and competing and doing well has helped my confidence and working so hard to achieve my goals has helped me realize I am a good singer and why shouldn’t I perform. I still have some stage fright sometimes but it’s definitely a lot better.” 

When it comes down to it though, Cruz doesn’t sing for the accolades or awards, she sings because she it’s what she loves. 

“I joined choir the first time we could in sixth grade because I always liked to sing,” Cruz said. “I stuck with it because I enjoyed it. Its always been something I’ve been passionate about.” 

Armed with her undeterred passion and undeniable talent, Cruz plans to continue singing throughout her life whether on stage or off.  

“I have choir every day, so we practice every day, but a lot of times I find myself singing around the house or even in the car along with the radio. It’s not necessarily a set way to practice but I feel like you can always just practice by singing and enjoying yourself,” Cruz said. 

Cruz does not plan on formally pursuing a musical career path after high school but remains open to the idea of performing throughout college. For now, though, she is prioritizing her future career in the medical field. 

“I’m attending ESU for their nursing program because I’ve always been fascinated by the medical field,” Cruz said. “Initially, I didn’t know which path to take but I eventually decided on nursing because I feel like it’s a good starting ground and that way if I do want to be a doctor, I can go back to school.” 

Cruz’s passion for her future career is not new, in fact she has known what she wants to do with her life from a young age. 

“I’ve always just been fascinated by the medical field, even when I was just eight years old I would go home and watch the Discovery Health Network—at only eight years old! I’ve just always found it so interesting!” Cruz said. 

With so much passion and confidence, Cruz is sure to leave her mark wherever life may take her.  

“Wherever life takes me, I’m sure I’ll still be jamming in the car and that sort of thing.  Whatever happens next depends, I’m really open to anything, whatever my future holds I’m keeping an open mind,” Cruz said.