CHRIS YOUNGKIN: ENIGMATIC, ERUDITE, AND…INDIVIDUAL

Meagan Hoffman, Editor

Involved and intelligent senior Chris Youngkin certainly deserves the title of “enigmatic, erudite, and…individual.” After four years of taking numerous AP and honors classes, Youngkin is ready to bring his intelligence to Northampton Community College. With his unique and admirable personality, Youngkin will continue to stand out among all crowds.

Joining the bands program, as it led to many opportunities.

What is your worst high school memory and why?

Final exams, as they induced too much stress.

If there were a movie made about your high school days, which actor would play your part and why?

Robert de Niro: He seems to be the most apt at conveying emotion.

Who influenced you most during high school?

My teachers, since they always pushed me when I needed it the most.

When you arrive at school in the morning, where is the first place you want to go and why?

Usually the band room, it tends to be quiet in the morning.

Which event(s) will you miss the most and why?

Music events— like the Jazz Concert.

Which band could play the soundtrack to your high school career and why?

Led Zeppelin; the band is famous for its blues/rock style of music.

Who will you remember most in Bangor and why?

I will remember everyone in the music program. They have made a large impact on my life.

Where do you predict you’ll end up in 10 years from now and why?

Helping the community in any capacity; it is my nature.

What is your favorite quote to live by and why?

“Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.” —Abraham Lincoln.

Well, Abraham Lincoln was a smart man, and I feel that he is right regarding the internet.

What attributes about yourself do you think earned you this category?

Well, it is rather difficult to say for sure, but I have this feeling that it has something to do with my ability to take something into consideration, mull it over for a bit, and reply in a detailed and complex fashion.

If you could meet yourself in person, how would you describe yourself?

White male, slim and of modest height.

If your senior-self could give your freshman-self advice, what would it be and why?

Get more involved. From the beginning, I would have participated in the bands program each year—to the greatest extent possible. In that same period of time I probably would have also been involved with SGA or SADD. Why? These activities would have been virtually open ended in their opportunity.

What is your favorite conspiracy theory and why?

I’m a big fan of aliens. The universe is big enough to hold them.

What is your favorite Star Trek episode and why?

Well, from the Original Series, it is THE CITY ON THE EDGE OF FOREVER; the plot pits Captain Kirk’s personal interests with the interests of humanity on a whole.

Where are you attending college?

I will be attending Northampton Community College for a year.

Why did you choose this college?

I figured that by attending the community college, I could ascertain an education at little to no cost, while I am still able to bolster my application for when I do transfer to another institution.

What activities/clubs are you a member of in high school?

For almost three years now, I have been a part of the Slater Band. In my time, I participated in the Concert and Symphonic Bands. In other times, I found myself in the Pep Band, supporting the Slaters at various Basketball games.

How have you prepared in high school for college?

Many, many ways. For the most part, however, I took AP classes. While yes, it was nice to get that high grade in an AP course, I found the experience to be invaluable. They had an expansive curriculum that would take time and energy to complete. I mean, there would be nights where I would be up for hours outlining or reviewing vocab. Through it all, the experience of AP course work has lead me to become much more disciplined, as to be able to take on and complete the work necessitated at the college level.

What are you most looking forward to in college?

Opportunity. While there are various chances to be involved with activities here and around the high school, I feel that Northampton will bring a more open ended slate of activities to participate in.

What are you majoring in and why?

At this moment in time I am going in undecided, as to take care of all of the necessary general education requirements I may need.