MARTINA SELL: MOST LIKELY TO “RUN” THE WORLD

Autumn Bird, Reporter

After a successful academic and athletic career at Bangor High School, Martina Sell will take her dedication and happy lifestyle to Lehigh University where she will study business and continue to run cross country and track. 

Who will you remember most in Bangor and why?

I will remember Coach Vidumsky the most because he’s been one of the most influential people in my life inside and outside of running. He cares about his athletes so much and wants us to succeed for ourselves more than anything, so I will always remember him. 

My best high school memory overall is getting to represent our school in all of the sports and activities I participate in because I have made a lot of great memories and been a part of a lot of great teams that have brought pride to our school. 

What is your worst high school memory and why?

My worst high school memory is crying over scheduling my freshman year even though it really was not that big of a deal. This was the worst because I cried in the hallway, and on the way home, and the next day, and was very embarrassed. 

Which band could play the soundtrack to your high school career and why?

The Bangor marching band could play the soundtrack because they are so good and it reminds me of cheering under the lights. 

If there were a movie about your high school days, which actor would play your part and why?

Melissa McCarthy would play me because I think she is funny and. Even though she doesn’t look like me, she’d make my movie a best seller. 

When you arrive at school in the morning, where’s the first place you want to go and why?

The first place I want to go in the morning is to the gym to play games, even though I’m not allowed to, because I think that’d be a great way to start the day. 

Who influenced you most during high school and why?

Other than Mr. Vidumsky, Señora Menio has influenced me the most because she has taught me to not sweat the small stuff and to be happy in every situation. 

Where do you predict you’ll end up ten years from now and why?

In ten years from now I see myself having a steady job, maybe a family, a camper, and being a cross country coach. I predict this because I would be really happy with this life and it seems achievable. 

Which event/events will you miss the most and why?

I will miss football games the most because even though they still have them in college, it just is not the same as high school under the lights.

What is your favorite quote to live by and why?

A quote I really like is “To be normal is the ultimate aim of the unsuccessful” because I think that a lot of the time you need to have the will power to focus on your own goals rather than following the crowd.

How does senior year compare to the rest of your high school career?

Senior year has been my favorite year, closely followed by my freshman year.

What advice would your senior self-give your freshman self? 

I would tell my freshman self to stay focused because everything happens for a reason and the hard work will pay off in one way or another.

What advice would you give an upcoming senior?

I would tell an upcoming senior to attend every event you can and make as many memories as possible because this year flies by.

What would your life be like without running?

My life would be boring without running and I think it’d be more stressful because running is a healthy outlet for me to be competitive and push myself. 

Who would be the ultimate running partner and why?

The ultimate running partner would be and is Braie Haycock because we always adventure on runs and make up fun games to play.

What did you enjoy most about running for the school?

My favorite part about running for the school was getting to spend so much time with my team. Looking around, I truly think we are the most tight knit group and I will miss them and all of our funny memories so much. We all treat each other with respect whether you are first or last and that is very important to me as well.

What is the farthest you’ve ever ran?

One-time Amelia O’Brien and I ran 11 or 12 miles in a speed workout, but other than that I have run 9 miles.

If you could run a marathon anywhere in the world, where would it be?

The best place to run a marathon would be Nyak State Park in New York because it is along the water and it is so pretty and fun.