DECK THE HALLS WITH SGA

Meagan Hoffman, Editor-in-Chief

White twinkling icicle lights, intricate glittering snowflakes hang from the ceilings, and four carefully decorated trees stand in the center of the school entrance outside of Guidance, and are filling the halls with spirit. 

Student Government Association (SGA) has done it again; Bangor High is ready for the holidays!

Holiday decorating kicked off fifth block (Thurs. Dec, 6) as SGA members, under the direction of Mrs. Brown, gathered ladders and Command Strips to begin the tedious process of hanging numerous white strands of sparkling lights throughout each of the main hallways. Every few feet, a paperclip strategically placed between ceiling tiles hold the strands from above, creating waves of lights.

“Putting up the lights is one of my favorite activities. Not only does it get the SGA members in the holiday spirit, it also makes the teachers happy. I had quite a few of my teachers say that seeing the lights just made their day better. They literally light up the school,” senior Sara Phillips said.

With each hallway’s lights hung with care, SGA members placed handmade paper snowflakes on windows and doors. Snowflakes, glittered and cut, are a dazzling touch to each hallway corner and lobby area. 

“I love turning the school into a blizzard. The paper snowflakes are so simple, yet they remind me that the holidays are right around the corner and that snow days are a possibility,” sophomore Emily Greene said.

With snowflakes in the air, the next step is decorating the four class trees in the front lobby. As a whole, SGA voted on the overall tree theme of Christmas storybooks for the 2018 holiday season (seniors, Polar Express; juniors, The Grinch; sophomores, Frosty the Snowman; freshmen, Elf).

“I loved the way each class designed their trees in their own ways. They all turned out great, and it will certainly be a close race for the winner,” President Jenna Learn said. “The trees really bring a new level of holiday spirit to BHS. The organization always receives a lot of positive feedback from teachers, students, and faculty every year.”

Within the coming weeks before holiday break, a group of select teachers will judge each of the trees and rank them from first to fourth place. Tree rank will determine Clash of Classes points for each class.

Finishing all of the decorating at around 5:30 p.m. Thurs. evening, SGA members walked away from their hours of interior designing, excited to see the reactions of their peers as they enter the holiday halls the following day.