WINTER CARNIVAL UNITES BANGOR COMMUNITY

Meagan Hoffman, Editor-in-Chief

Bangor High School’s National Honor Society and Spanish Honor Society hosted the annual family-fun Winter Carnival at Bangor Middle School. On Feb. 22 from 6-8 p.m. families explored the transformed gym, playing entertaining games, throwing pies in people’s faces, and snacking on churros. 

The results of the clubs’ efforts were well-appreciated.

“I loved the creativity in the different games, my favorite was definitely Just Dance. I loved being able to see some of my past teachers too; that was a bonus,” seventh grader Julia Pinter said.

Several organizations from the high school participated in making their own fun-filled booths at the carnival. Each club decorated and manned their table and games at the carnival, ensuring that the kids would have plenty of entertainment all night.

National Honor Society (NHS) took charge of the event and set up. With the help of the custodians and under the direction of Mrs. Verbeke, NHS strategically placed several tables and chairs for the rest of the organizations. As the backbone of this event, NHS’s pride filled the room.

“This year the Winter Carnival was at the middle school, and included the help of the National Junior Honor Society. Mrs. Verbeke was very quick to becoming a great leader of NHS, and with her help we organized the space in which all clubs were able to come and create a very successful night,” Akash Sareen said. “With over 245 children in attendance, the night was a success.”

Spanish Honor Society (SHS) put together a colorful tent made of blankets to create a dark space for attendees to dance the night away playing Just Dance on the Wii. Along with providing upbeat music and hours of entertainment with the fan-favorite game, the organization also provided a “flavorful snack” table right outside their tent. 

After snacking on some chocolate covered churros, guests could make their way over to Soccer Shoot Out, where SHS members voluntarily were hit with soccer balls being kicked at them by youth in the community. 

“I’ve been a part of Winter Carnival for three years and this was definitely the smoothest year we’ve had. It’s a little nerve wracking as president of SHS because if something goes wrong, it’s my fault, but I worked with such a great group of people in SHS and they were all willing to help make that night perfect,” Nicola Kaye said. “Just Dance and Soccer Shoot Out so exciting to run because it’s arguably more fun for us than it is the elementary school kids. Between all the great dance music, churros with chocolate, and smiling faces, it was certainly a successful night.”

Student Government Association (SGA) also provided a simple, yet captivating game of Snowman Toss. Players had three chances to throw ping pong balls into a wooden painted snowman. If they were skilled enough to dunk all three, the players had the option to choose between balloons, whistles, and other small toys.

“The Winter Carnival is always a fun, entertaining night with the youth of the Slater community. I loved running the SGA game, I had the opportunity to work with and get to know quite a few of the underclassmen in the organization. The Winter Carnival is always a success and improves year after year,” Jenna Learn said.

Mass Communications also hosted a series of games, including Alien Attack, Wrangle Some Critter, and, fan-favorite King Pong. Hosting three games can be a bit of a challenge, but under the direction of advisor Mr. Madden, the night ran smoothly.

“I loved being a part of the Winter Carnival. I remember when I used to go to it as a kid and how much fun I had, so I really enjoyed working it this year. Seeing all of the kids run around with their faces painted, playing games, and winning prizes was a lot of fun,” GG Murgia said.

A carnival wouldn’t be a carnival without face painting for all who come, so Aevidum Club brought their best art skills to the gymnasium to paint numerous faces. Countless kids were walking around all night with their fresh new butterfly and tiger art proudly displayed on their faces.

“It was my first year volunteering to advise the club with Mrs. Hannan. The club has always participated in face painting as as fundraiser for quite a long time, so we wanted to continue the tradition,” Mrs. Finkbeiner said. “We had a great turn out of club members that were interested in painting faces and we were really really happy with the quality of the paints that we chose.”

The numerous clubs (listed below) that banded together to host this whimsical carnival for the children in the community truly exemplifies what it means to be a Slater.

Great job to all of the clubs that participated!

Freshmen Class of 2022

Pennsylvania Youth Leadership Network

Gay-Straight Alliance

Sophomore Class Cabinet

Sociedad Honoraria Hispánica

Bangor Area Middle School Student Government

Greater Slaters

National Junior Honor Society

Middle School Journalism Club

Aevidum Club

Bangor Middle School Science Club

Junior Class Cabinet

Middle School Yearbook Club

Student Government Association

German National Honor Society

Mass Communications