SLATER SPOTLIGHT: SOPHIA VILLANO

Michenna Mulvaney, Editor

The very kind- hearted and musically talented Sophia Villano plans to take her passion of acting and dance to West Virginia University. She hopes to earn a bachelors degree in acting.

What sports, clubs, organizations, jobs do you have an what are your positions in each of these activities?

Spanish Honors Society- President, Chamber Choir-fundraising advisor, District, Region, All-State, and ACDA musical theatre honor choir, dance at TGAI, BAHS musical

Which friend or friends will you miss most from Bangor and why?

Hannah Almanzar. I will miss having her to tackle through all of life’s hardships together, as we always did.

Callista Tshilis. I will miss her bright smile and constant positivity.

Andrea Morokutti- I will miss always having someone to play piano for me and laughing about stupid things.

Gracie Caiazzo- I will miss seeing her at every musical practice and doing our stupid hand thing back stage.

Which teacher influenced you most or who will you remember most from Bangor and why?

I will most remember Mr. Di Minico because he has influenced me to become a more confident person all around. He has shown me a home in theatre and provided me with endless knowledge and I am forever grateful.

I remember seeing the cast list this year for “Carrie” and hugging all of my friends. We all were where we wanted to be and the hard work had finally paid off.

What is your worst high school memory and why?

My worst memory was probably March 12, 2020 when the Carrie pancake breakfast got cancelled and the coronavirus was worsening. From this point on, I knew that our senior year had been ruined.

Which band could play the soundtrack to your high school career and why?

Khalid. Just because he got me through so much of high school, when I was moving between schools, annoyed with drama, or even having a really good day!!

If there were a movie made about your high school days, which actor would play your part and why?

Victoria Pedretti. Just because several people have told me that I look like her. I don’t see it 🤔

When you arrive at school in the morning, where is the first place you want to go and why?

I want to go straight to the choir room to see my friends because typically we have something music-related going on everyday so I want to run to talk to them about how they’re feeling about it.

Where do you predict you’ll end up ten years from now and why?

I see myself in New York City, working as a server, trying to make ends meet while auditioning for shows.

Which event, events will you miss the most and why?

I will, of course, miss the BAHS musicals and prom. This is where I felt most comfortable and happy enough to dance. They were always something I really looked forward to.

What is your favorite quote to live by and why?

“Everything happens for a reason”. It makes me feel reassured when maybe things aren’t going entirely the way I planned. In the end, everything always turns out okay.

What made you choose the college you’re attending?

West Virginia is a very good school for acting and I will be close to my favorite aunt, allowing us to become closer.

How did you feel when you saw your name on the cast list as the mom in “Carrie”?

I was absolutely shocked. I was sure that it wouldn’t look that way, but assured myself that I did all that I could in my power and the rest was up to the universe. I felt on top of the world because I had earned that spot.

What musical was your favorite to have been in and why?

Besides “Carrie” (still praying that it happens), I loved “42nd Street” because I felt like it was an amazing challenge for everyone to learn how to tap dance and I absolutely adored the chemistry between cast members that year.

What made you choose to go to school for acting/ dance?

I chose to go to school for acting because it is what I was born to do. I have always tried to find other hobbies that some may say are “more realistic,” however, I find that I am only truly happy when I am acting. I would regret it greatly if I did not follow my dreams.