SLATER SPOTLIGHT: ALARIK MCNAY

Emma Naysmith, Editor in Chief

Talented and musically inclined senior Alarik McNay has pursed music in every way possible during his time at BHS and even served as band president. He will further his education at Temple University and major in music theory and performance with hopes of one day performing in the pit orchestras on Broadway.

Which friend or friends will you miss most from Bangor and why?

I’ll miss everyone who I had the opportunity to make fantastic music with! I interacted with hundreds of people every day and without them, I wouldn’t have gotten to where I am today. Every student from Bangor that I interacted with was a pleasure to work with, I wouldn’t want to change or remove anyone from my experience!

Which teacher influenced you most or who will you remember most from Bangor and why?

Mr. Hahn. Throughout my high school education he pushed me as far as I could go, forcing me into a more polished individual. Without his guidance I doubt I would’ve ever discovered my real passions.

Probably prom, any of them. Not for the stereotypical fun and “magic” associated with prom though. It’s honestly because the Steel Stacks had some ridiculously good mac and cheese bites every time I attended. The first time I bit into one of those things my life was flipped absolutely upside down. My tastebuds had no idea how to process the pure euphoria associated with the battered cluster of mac and cheese topped with an unknown sauce.

What is your worst high school memory and why?

So… I broke my wrist in front of my gym class freshman year playing alien tag on the FIRST DAY of actual class. The nickname “Gym Class Hero” followed by snickers from all of my peers is something I doubt I’ll ever shake from my memory.

Which band could play the soundtrack to your high school career and why?

Reel Big Fish, they have a really solid discography mixing the best and worst sides of life. As someone with such a laidback disposition, the groove of RBF’s ska music really resonates with my personality!

If there were a movie made about your high school days, which actor would play your part and why?

Robin Williams, he was referred to as the funniest man alive in 1997 by entertainment weekly. Beyond all of my other goals and ambitions, that title is one I have longed for above all others.

When you arrive at school in the morning, where is the first place you want to go and why?

Probably the breakfast cart. Ever since I was a kid, the only time I ate the rare commodity known as Trix Yogurt was when the Bangor Area School District supplied me with such a wonderful thing. Whenever I could snag one of those I knew the day was setting itself up for success.

Where do you predict you’ll end up ten years from now and why?

Hopefully in NYC, it’s a dream of mine to play percussion in Broadway pits. If I stay true to my goals I’ll be there!

Which event, events will you miss the most and why?

The lip sync was always a personal favorite of mine. It was an awesome way to see students put their creativity to the test to create something. There were always so many original ideas being put to the test!

What is your favorite quote to live by and why?

“Perseverance is a great element of success. If only you knock long enough and loud enough at the gate, you are sure to wake up somebody.” -Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

I tend to be a pretty stubborn kid; once I put my mind to something I’m not going to stop until I achieve that goal. I believe that this quote much more eloquently puts forth a similar point. As long as you’re willing to keep shooting towards your goals you’re going to get there!

What was your favorite song to play under the Friday night lights and why?

Cold Hearted, the tenor drum line wasn’t particularly difficult but I thought it was an awesome song! It’s so loud and full of energy and I don’t know how you couldn’t jam out to it!

Where is one place you would love to play music?

Everywhere! On the rooftops, in the streets, in performance halls, in crowded lobbies and subways, in my house, and everywhere else! I love to play music and I love showing the world what an effective communicator music can be. As once written by Beethoven, “Music is the one incorporeal entrance into the higher world of knowledge which comprehends mankind but which mankind cannot comprehend.” Following the idea set forth in this quote, I desire to make music which touches people, something they can relate to and feel, even if they do not fully understand why.

What are your thoughts on garage band?

Garage band is absolutely awesome! It’s free music software and I love the availability of resources to those who could not afford it otherwise.

If you were stuck in the band room during a zombie apocalypse, what instrument would be your weapon of choice and why?

Cymbals, big 20″ cymbals. Those things are heavy AND are shaped like a frisbee. You could sharpen the edges and make heavy mega doom frisbees to tank through zombies. On top of that, you can even hold them by the strap and to use them as a shield!