SLATER SPOTLIGHT: ANTHONY PULIDO

Emma Naysmith, Editor in Chief

High spirited senior Anthony Puliodo will combine his interest of science and love for helping people at Penn State this fall to study pre-med with hopes of one day becoming a nurse. Throughout his high school career, Pulido left his mark on the music department as he shared his passion for music in marching band, pep band, Slater Chorale, and the musical.

Which friend or friends will you miss the most from high school?

Gosh, this is a tough one because I have a lot of friends (or at least I hope). I will miss two underclassmen, Zowie Singleton and Grace Fraunfelter, they helped me through some stressful times and I am thankful to call them my friends. I will also miss many of the drum line and musical members, they made being part of the music department an enjoyable time.

Which teacher from Bangor will you remember the most and why?

I will remember Mr. Hachtman because he was one of the first teachers who seem to understand my thought process from an early point in high school and really allowed me to work with myself in my academics and he saw me as an equal sometimes. I will also miss Mrs. Brown because she pushed me to be a better student and to to work to my highest potential. I will also miss Mr. Weaver because he was that teacher you can see after school, during school, or class, and have a fun chat about random things. He would connect to the students in a way that made it not as boring but fun and really made the student teacher bond into a friendship. I will miss Mr. DiMinico because he was a hard working performing arts teacher who I felt like I can connect to as a minority of the school and he was also very funny and someone many people could connect to on an emotional level and he made teacher seem more human then they did as a superior body to the students. Finally, I will miss Mr. Hahn, although he is no longer a teacher at Bangor Area High School, he still impacted me greatly he supported my academics greatly and he pushed me to perform my best in music, in school, and in life. He allowed me to understand how to have fun and to learn at the same time, he inspired me to go to Penn State and to be a good person even during rough times.

What is your favorite high school memory and why?

I think my favorite high school memory has to be some “interrupting” band, not really, but entertaining certain sections in band and just doing funny or whacky things that made students and the director laugh to easy the stress of running music and of the long academic day.

What is your worst high school memory and why?

My worst high school memory has to be when we were doing something for the band and or choir or the musical and we would be in the hall way or in the auditorium doing something and getting yelled at by a teacher or security for not being in class when we were given directions by a teacher to do something. We would then be forced to go back to class only to be allowed back out because the teacher tells us to go complete the task.

Which events will you miss the most?

I will definitely miss the musical and pep rallies most. The musical was something that we worked so hard for and the satisfaction of performing such a great and entertaining show was so satisfying. Also, the pep rallies because the pep band would get to perform in front of the school and seeing people dance and have fun while we played was such a good time.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

I would hope to see myself at least with a bachelors degree if not more in the medical field and helping people in a hospital in the ER and just living a good life.

What quote do you strive to live by?

“The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don’t always spoil the good things and make them unimportant.” – Matt Smith, Doctor who.

What was your favorite memory out of any marching band season and why?

When the drum line  would run through the music and we would speed it up and just not react to anything and be so focused that we would perform it almost perfectly. Then once we finished, we would laugh at each other because of how hard we went.

What inspired you to choose the career you’re going for and why?

I chose to be a nurse because I enjoy helping people and I found other jobs to be boring or lack luster. I wanted something that was going to be different everyday and I would enjoy.

What was your most favorite piece to play in band and why?

My favorite band piece was 1812 Overture because it was long but entertaining and fun to play. I have others like Star Wars and Danzon because it’s Star Wars, it’s a classic, and Danzon because it was a tango piece that was fun to play.