SGA SEEKS TO BOOST SLATER MORALE

Emma Naysmith, Editor in Chief

Breaking news! NOT Cancelled due to coronavirus: SLATER SPIRIT!

Even amidst the craziness that is life during a global pandemic, SGA, led by adviser Mrs. Brown, has continued to forge ahead to with the hopes of raising Slater spirit at BAHS.

Each year SGA is given the task of engaging students and promoting school spirit, however, this school year they have faced an entirely new set of challenges. Despite the complications of hybrid scheduling, having to hold virtual meetings, and condensing traditions, this impassioned group of students have still managed to promote Slater spirit. 

“We are trying to uphold as many traditions as we can in whatever unique way possible because of Covid,” SGA President Emma Rambo said. “Since we are unable to hang posters outside for the bonfire, we are looking to bring them inside to decorate with our Slater pride.”

Along with the rivalry Bangor vs. Pen Argyl football game tradition of the bonfire and pep rally celebration, is the spirit week leading up to the big game. To ensure as much spirit as possible, this year, the best dressed student for each theme will even be awarded a gift card prize. 

“Spirit week is something students look forward to every year, especially senior dress up day. I think this year it’s extra important because it just gives students an opportunity to have a sense of normalcy and raise school spirit,” SGA Vice President Marissa Hill said. 

To increase additional school spirit, SGA has also created a Spirit Squad to “snack attack” every homeroom for every Friday football game. This energetic group skips through the halls shaking cow horns, waving pompoms, and even distributes yummy snacks to peers and teachers. 

“This year, due to Covid, many things were lost,” SGA Secretary Lili Priestaf said. “That’s why our new activities became so important. Through these little things we are able to do, we can help raise spirits and hopefully make this difficult year more enjoyable for all of us”. 

In this time of uncertainty, SGA still seeks to bring normalcy to the walls of BHS. Even after being thrown obstacle after obstacle, their persistence and intentions of boosting moral have proven to be truly unwavering.