GIRLS TENNIS (2022)

Cecilia O'Brien, Reporter, Emma Naysmith, Editor in Chief

Senior captains Cece Diaz, Hannah Franzone, Katrina Myers, Corie Reid, and head coach Stephen Speshok led the Girls Varsity Tennis team to a hard-earned final record of 4-10.

From summer workouts into the beginning of the season, these Slaters focused on bettering their strategy and skill. With the help of their seasoned senior captains, the team worked to improve chemistry and build confidence on and off the courts.

The regular season featured standout matches against Saucon Valley (4-1), Wilson (4-1), and an exciting 3-2 senior night win over Notre Dame East Stroudsburg.

Wowing at the Colonial League Tournament on September 30, juniors Julianna Utess and Cecilia O’Brien took fourth place in second doubles with their impressive teamwork and effective communication.

While the season ultimately proved to be a time of rebuilding and appreciating the small victories, the girls found greater success as they made unforgettable memories.

JUST A SEC! Junior Alanie Fornaro stops to take a picture before going onto the court. Fornaro’s positive attitude and dedication landed her varsity position of second singles. (Christmas City Studio)
CAUSING A RACKET! Bangor’s tennis team gathers before a match to show off team bonding and enthusiasm with captain Cece Diaz leading them in cheer with words of encouragement and motivation. The team demonstrated great team spirit on and off the court, whether it be swinging a racket or sharing laughs.(Christmas City Studio)
SMILES FOR DAYS! Junior Juliana Utess eagerly waits backcourt to return the opposing team’s serve. Utess went on to place in leagues for 2nd doubles with partner Cecilia O’Brien. (Christmas City Studio)
FOCUSED! Junior Cecilia O’Brien prepares to volley the ball back at the opponent. O’Brien was infamous on the court for her aggressive volleys and quick reflexes, which earned her a spot as second doubles in varsity with her partner Juliana Utess.   (Christmas City Studio)
OUT! Senior Corie Reid calls the ball out as it soars over the edge of the court. Reid ended her high school career as senior captain and first singles of Bangor’s tennis team!  (Christmas City Studio)