STUDENT BY DAY, MASCOT BY (FRIDAY) NIGHT

Liliana Priestaf, Reporter

Slater Pride is strong at BAHS, and no one embodies that pride better than senior Jhonny Rojas.  

With his awesome dance moves, high energy, and amazing school spirit, the well-rounded senior has made the perfect Slater Mascot.  

“My favorite part of being the mascot is being able to just be myself in it,” Rojas said. “Since nobody can see me, I cannot worry about anyone judging me.”   

Rojas has traveled far and wide in costume to support Slater sports. From football games at Bangor Park to basketball championships at the PPL Center, there is really no limit to what the mascot can do, and Rojas has made some great memories while doing it.  

“The basketball game at the PPL center was my favorite memory with the mascot,” Rojas said. “Being able to dance in the center of the court in front of fans and on TV is an experience I will never forget, and I hope that we will be able to do it again this year!” 

Though Rojas makes it look easy, being the Slater is no simple task. Sweltering temperatures and a constant responsibility for others’ entertainment can make it a difficult job, and he needs some encouragement along the way.  

“Mr. Di Minico has helped and pushed me along to become the Slater and I have him to thank for this awesome opportunity not many kids can have,” Rojas said.  

Outside of embodying the school’s spirit, Rojas is also highly involved at BAHS as the choir librarian, Senior Class Cabinet historian, Slater girls tennis manager, a varsity tennis player, a musical participant, and more. In part because of these skills and attributes, Rojas was accepted into Moravian University, which he will attend in the fall to study history and play tennis. 

“Moravian offers everything I want and it’s close to me. A beautiful campus, a small school where professors can connect with you, a great tennis team, and Mr. Hawk graduated from there too,” Rojas said of his future home. 

Rojas looks forward to new experiences and showing off his passion for school spirit in a different environment.  

Still, “Nothing will ever beat Friday Night Lights and being a Slater,” Rojas admitted.  

Good luck Jhonny and go Hounds!