MENDELSOHN TO STUDY MUSIC AT WEST CHESTER U

Eve Lanier, Reporter

After completing her outstanding career in band at Bangor Area High School, Senior Nikita Mendelsohn will be continuing her musical pursuits at West Chester University, as she hopes to earn a bachelor’s degree in music education.  

Mendelsohn made the decision to attend WU during her freshman year while attending a marching band competition at the university’s football stadium. 

“Their Golden Ram Band performed for everyone as an exhibition band, and watching them perform made me realize that WCU was where I wanted to be in college,” Mendelsohn said. 

Having her sights set on Westchester for years, the time to decide quickly approached. Mendelsohn toured many other places such as Susquehanna, Kutztown, and IUP, but when the time came to officially tour WCU, it only solidified her decision. 

“I had a very unique experience with the student ambassadors that guided me, as they were very kind and made my time there special,” Mendelsohn said. 

Mendelsohn hopes that attending WCU will help lead her down the path of becoming a high school band teacher. She has been deeply inspired to follow this career path by her music teachers throughout the years, including Mr. Horne (HS band director), Mr. Di Minico (HS choir director), and Mrs. Davidson (Middle School band director.) 

Mendelsohn has worked hard for everything she has earned. She plays the B flat clarinet, tenor saxophone for jazz band, alto saxophone for pep band, and E flat clarinet and Bass Clarinet for this year’s musical, Les Misérables. Mendelsohn has been selected to be in multiple honors ensembles, such as PMEA’s District X, Region V, and All-State Concert Band, and has earned a position as the section leader of the woodwinds section in band.  

I go through a rigorous audition process against schools across the state of Pennsylvania to earn a spot in these ensembles,” Mendelsohn said. 

The time spent is worth it as Mendohlson has an intense passion for music. Throughout the past eight years her skill and devotion have grown exponentially, aided by her close friends and music educators; especially Mrs. Davidson.  

As a person that did not have a great experience in middle school, the band was one of the only memories that I loved from those years,” Mendelsohn said. 

Mendelsohn was also an important contributor to this year’s musical, Les Misérables. As a crucial member of the pit orchestra, Mendelsohn demonstrated her mastery of a variety of instruments including B flat clarinet, E flat clarinet, bass clarinet and tenor recorder. 

Despite her excitement at the prospects of life and opportunities ahead, Mendelsohn will miss performing with her friends in Bangor. Her experiences with her classmates as well as students from other schools in competition have shaped who she is today.  

“Being part of Slater Chorale and PMEA festivals have been amazing experiences for me since my sophomore year as well, and I will miss singing with these groups so much as I enter college,” Mendelsohn said. 

Mendelsohn doesn’t regret anything about her high school career, but she wishes she could go back and tell her freshman self to enjoy it while it lasts. Although her schedule has been busy and full of stress, she knows that as soon as it is over, she will miss it immensely. 

“Bask in that chaotic schedule that you know, deep inside, you love so much,” Mendelsohn said.