SLATER SPOTLIGHT: JUSTIN PASCOE

Cecilia O'Brien, Reporter

Senior Justin Pascoe hurdled over any obstacle that came his way by participating in soccer (varsity goalie), track and field (hurdles, triple jump, long jump), jazz band, marching band, and concert/symphonic band throughout his years at BHS. Exemplifying his true Slater Spirit through his reliability and considerateness, Pascoe plans to major in human resources at Bloomsburg University.

Who will you remember most in Bangor and why?

The person I will remember most in Bangor would probably have to be Mrs. Davidson, my middle school band instructor. She is the reason I stuck with band and made it enjoyable for me. Without her, I would’ve quit band before high school.

What is your best high school memory and why?

My best high school memory is the Disney Trip the band went on my senior year. It was the people and the activities we did as a group that brought many great memories to life. This trip is something I will never forget.

What is your worst high school memory and why?

I think my worst memory in high school would have to be when covid hit my sophomore year. Covid hit about two weeks into track season, which ended up canceling track all together, so I didn’t get a chance to have a track season my sophomore year. Covid also just brought the downfall to everything in the future, making my junior year more of a fever dream.

Which band could play the soundtrack to your high school career and why?

The band that could play the soundtrack to my high school year would probably be Sixx A.M. My year consisted of a lot of up and downs, one year could be fantastic, the next year would be upsetting. The band I chose plays the same style of music my high school year went–plays some upbeat banger songs, and then hits us with slow, upsetting songs.

If there were a movie made about your high school days, which actor would play your part and why?

I think the actor that would play my part would be Graham Rodgers. The main reason I think this actor would play my part is because I look very similar to him. Graham Rodgers also takes on the personality that I had throughout high school. I feel like he would be the perfect actor to take on my role.

Who influenced you most during high school and why?

The people that influenced me the most during high school would be my parents. Both of my parents would push me to do activities that were out of my comfort zone because they knew I could do it. They are the main reason I joined track and jazz band my freshman year. They also push me to do my best in school and to focus on my grades more than I would have ever done on my own. My parents are the reason I’m the person I am today.

Describe what you hope your life will be like in ten years.

It’s hard to determine what I think my life would be like in 10 years, but if I were to guess, I think it would be living down in Florida or Colorado working in human resources, or financial analyst, married to my current girlfriend, just living my best life. That’s all I can really ask for at this time.

Which event, events will you miss the most at Bangor and why?

The school event I would miss the most at Bangor would be the Bangor Bonfire they have every year before playing against Penn Argyl. This event brought people together, with activities and food and a massive bonfire that lit the sky. I have a lot of great memories at these bonfires, and it’s just the kind of event I’m going to miss after I graduate.

What is your favorite quote to live by and why?

My favorite quote to live by would have to be the quote by Albert Einstein that reads, “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” This quote hit me pretty hard because I was going through a rough patch my sophomore year, and this quote really made me realize that I just have to keep moving forward.

In soccer, how do you hype yourself up before a game?

During soccer, the main thing I do to hype myself up is to listen to music. I like to listen to rock music, or any kind of music that’s upbeat to hype myself up. Sometimes I talk to myself to try and hype myself up, but music seems to be my go-to thing before every game.

Describe what you think about in the goal while the soccer ball is on the other side of the field.

I think about a lot of things when I’m standing in goal and the ball is on the other side of the field. I mostly think about the ball hitting their net and scoring, but I also think about what our team can do to improve so that the ball goes into their net. I’ll think about what kind of passes our team could do to make it easier to get pass the defense, or what I could say to certain players, since I can see the whole field, where to go to receive these passes or just become an open option. My mind just races a lot in the net, but that’s what I mostly think about.

Do you prefer the 110m hurdles or 300m hurdles? Why?

I prefer the 110-meter hurdles. I find this event a lot easier to run than the 300-meter hurdles mainly because I’m not running as long. My endurance isn’t as good as it used to be, so after the 300 hurdles, I’m exhausted. But when I run the 110 hurdles, I’m barely out of breath, and able to compete in another event right after. The only thing I do not like about the 110 hurdles is how high they are. It’s easier to hit the hurdles during the 110 race than it is to hit the hurdles during the 300 race

What are you thinking about in the last 100m stretch of the 300m hurdles?

During the last stretch of the 300-meter hurdles, the only thing I’m really thinking about is to not stop running. It is easy for me to just stop and walk the rest of the race, I must tell myself to not stop and to finish the race. Sometimes I think about my steps and if I’ll be able to make it over the hurdle on the correct leg, but for the most part, I think about finishing the race.