SLATER SPOTLIGHT: SARAH KNITTER

Rose Chen, Reporter

Through her journey at BHS, hardworking and compassionate senior Sarah Knitter has left her impression in many clubs and activities including Envirothon (team representative, four years), Ecology Club (counsel member), NHS (senior class representative), French Honor Society, and Leo Club. After being a standout in science classes, Knitter is headed to the University of Pittsburgh for molecular biology.  

Who will you remember most in Bangor and why? 

I’ll remember my friends, the teachers I spent the most time with, and my Envirothon team members! I’ve spent the past year at least doing research with the same group of students (Harper, Shannon, Allison, Clara, etc) and the memories made I most definitely won’t forget. Similarly, I’ve worked with Hachtman and Thomas throughout all four years with Envirothon, so there’s a lot to remember! 

My best high school memory has to be the Envirothon competitions and research symposiums. It was such a small tight-knit group of kids at each and it was overall a really enjoyable time that marks the highlights of my favorite memories here. 

What is your worst high school memory and why? 

Probably when COVID canceled the Envirothon my sophomore year and our chance to meet the state forester! 

Which band could play the soundtrack to your high school career and why? 

I don’t know any other bands, so Hachtman suggested saying the Slater Band. 

Who influenced you most during high school and why? 

Mr. Hachtman definitely influenced me most these past few years. He was always there to encourage different avenues of interest in science and help with endless questions about biology and forestry alike, and is the one that inspired me to pursue a career in science through honors bio! 

Describe what you hope your life will be like in ten years. 

In ten years, hopefully I’ll be done or finishing with grad school and able to be doing scientific research and maybe teaching some college kids unless I change my mind! 

Which event, events will you miss the most at Bangor and why? 

I’ll miss Envirothon and research most because they were by far the most fun and entertaining events I got to participate in and both were very enjoyable. The Winter Carnival, though, is definitely an event I’ll miss helping out with in the future! 

What is your favorite quote to live by and why? 

“This is just a chapter, not your whole story.” — S.C. Lourie 

For the longest time, I’ve lived by everything in life is just a chapter in a story, so one setback or one failure won’t and doesn’t define you or your future. 

If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, which food would you pick? Why? 

I’d eat salad – you can’t go wrong with salad when you can make chicken salad, fruit salad, pasta salad…. 

Which science course here would you recommend to everyone and why? 

I’d recommend the research class and environmental science to everyone! Both were really enjoyable classes with tons of hands-on activities that were enjoyable to be a part of. In research, I’ve gotten to do research on something that interests me that tied into what was covered in environmental and overall both were memorable classes! 

What’s the first scientific class sparked your interest? 

Evolution and genetics sparked my interest in science back in ninth grade. Evolution was an entirely new concept that fascinated me, and genetics had so many connections all throughout biology that I couldn’t help but fall in love with it!