KARNER JOINS THE PROFS IN GLASSBORO

Paulina Poels, Reporter

Senior basketball standout McCormick Karner will be continuing her education at Rowan University in Glassboro, New Jersey with plans to double major in sports communication and media with radio, TV, and film and minor in photography.

A class act at BHS, Karner has been one of the most involved members of the class of 2022 with her incredible work ethic and drive. In addition to being a great athlete, Karner is a leader and a role model for those around her.

“I am the Leo Club President, Spanish Honors Society President, Class Cabinet Treasurer, a yearbook editor, and a newspaper reporter. I am also a member of Student Government and TV Crew,” Karner said.

Karner’s leadership skills led to her being named captain of the Lady Slaters basketball team this past winter season, where she made her mark and kept the team performing at a high level.

“Being a captain was very rewarding, and I am glad to have been able to share it with someone else at every game. I enjoyed being able to give my input to the coaches whenever they asked and I was glad that the girls were comfortable enough to ask me something whenever they were confused or needed help, both inside and outside of basketball,” Karner said.

The Lady Slaters had an incredible season, tying the school record by making it into the PIAA Sweet 16 bracket, thanks, in part, to the strength and leadership of Karner.

“The last year of basketball has undoubtedly been my favorite. The group of girls that I played with instantly became my family, and I cannot wait to see how our friendships continue to grow. The biggest highlight for me would have to be winning at home in our first round of states. The support from the community was like no other,” Karner said.

Hard work is the name of the game when it comes to Karner’s high school experience, although that’s not to say that she didn’t have any fun.

“I have enjoyed being a part of the Quarry Crew, especially being a leader of the Crew this past year. It provided me with the opportunity to escape from the stress of school and have fun with friends. I also enjoyed seeing how it created a bond between the entire student body,” Karner said.

Karner comes from several generations of BHS graduates and has only strengthened the legacy of her family in this town.

“I would like to think that the biggest impact that I have had on Bangor is with Mini-THON. The organizing of the first Mini-THON started when I was a sophomore but was put on pause because of the pandemic. Being able to follow through with the plan during my senior year was amazing but seeing how it impacted the people who attended the event is something that will last with me forever, and hopefully the rest of the school,” Karner said.

It takes a leader to make a leader, and Karner’s biggest role model at BHS has been none other than Bangor principal Mr. Krohn.

“The person that influenced me most in high school was Mr. Krohn. He has always been very understanding and reliable, showing all of us how a leader should be. He also never fails to remind me how far a positive attitude can take someone in life,” Karner said.

Being the face of many events has made Karner realize that her true passion is in communications, which is what she plans to study in college.

“I intend on double majoring in sports communication and media with radio, TV, and film. I would also like to minor in photography. I chose this path because of the impact sports have had on me and the joy it has brought me over the years. There is nothing that I like more than to be watching or playing sports, and to be able to do that for the rest of my life would be a dream come true,” Karner said.

Karner’s career path requires her to make vital connections in college, which is in large part why she has found her perfect fit at Rowan.

“I decided to attend Rowan because of the size and the location of the school. It has 23,000 students, so it is the perfect size for meeting people from all over. It is also about 20 minutes outside of Philadelphia, so I will be able to travel to the city for internships and sporting events,” Karner said.

Karner’s aspirations go far beyond the doors of BHS. Her goals are lofty and will require years of dedication to accomplish, but Karner has proven her dedication time and again while at BHS.

“In 10 years, I see myself working as either a play-by-play commentator for ABC/ESPN, hopefully focusing on basketball or football, or being a full-time reporter for a WNBA/NBA team. I would also like to have called a March Madness Final Four game,” Karner said.

Starting college is difficult for everyone, but Karner can’t wait to join the big leagues and prove what she’s made of.

“I am most excited to be a small fish in a big pond. I know people always find that to be a bad thing, but I believe it will challenge me and force me to spread my wings, allowing me to reach my fullest potential. I also cannot wait for the Chickie’s and Pete’s on campus,” Karner said.