RUTT TO STAR AT WVU

Cecilia O'Brien, Editor in Chief

“Anastasia” star Elizabeth (Lizzy) Rutt earned a full scholarship to West Virginia University and will study musical theatre next year. From marching band to Slater Chorale, Rutt has made a huge impact on the musical programs at Bangor, expressing creativity and diligence in numerous musical classes, clubs, and extracurricular activities.

What are your favorite classes? 

My favorite classes are AP Psychology and Slater Chorale! I’ve always wanted to learn more about myself and why people act the way they do, and psychology allowed me to do so! Slater Chorale is such a positive environment and I’ve grown so much as a singer because of that class, not to mention: the immense talent my classmates possess!!

Why do you wish to major in Musical Theatre?

I always knew I wanted to perform, whether that be by singing, dancing, or both! It’s the most creative career path I could’ve chosen, and I am so excited to bring smiles to people’s faces.

Describe your ideal life 10 years from now.

I would ideally like to be performing in a Broadway show in NYC and live in a comfortable home with 2 cocker-spaniel pups. I would be surrounded by those I love most.

What is your best high school memory?

My best high school memory would probably have to be winning my scholarship to WVU at the Freddy Awards. It reassured me that everything was going to be okay when I go off to college and to soak up the last moments I have with my friends. It is a moment I will be eternally grateful for.

Which band could play the soundtrack to your high school career?

Electric Light Orchestra would 100% be the band to play the soundtrack to high school for me. Their music just has a “young, wild, and free” sort of feeling to it!

If there were a movie made about your high school days, which actor would play your part?

Jennifer Lawrence would definitely play me in a movie. She’s not only super talented, but she would be able to capture my essence so well! Her being one of my favorite actresses, I’d be so honored!

Which event will you miss the most from high school?

I’m really going to miss going to PMEA festivals with my friends. Those chorus festivals have helped us grow so much as musicians and friends. I’m also really going to miss doing the musicals. We have such an amazing arts program, and I wouldn’t have wanted to do shows anywhere else!!

Who is your biggest mentor?

Mr. Di Minico has impacted me in more ways than one. He had shaped the person and performer I am today and I’m so thankful to have a mentor like him. Mr. D. pushed me to be the best I can be and motivated me to follow my dreams. Without him, I would not have gotten as far as I have.

What is your favorite quote to live by?

I’ve been living the last couple years by the motto “The show must go on.” It’s a double entendre; it relates to theatrical saying and the idea that when things look rough or aren’t going your way, to push forward and keep working hard.

Who will you remember most in Bangor?

Rachel Finkbeiner is one of the most trustworthy, loyal, and kindhearted people I know; not only is she an incredible person, but an amazing vocalist as well. Being able to sing by her side for the past two years is something I will hold near and dear to my heart. Speaking of angelic voices, Andrew Spagnola is also someone I highly admire. Since kindergarten, he and I have been extremely close friends and he never fails to make my day better. There was no better way to end our senior year by singing, laughing, and performing hip to hip. Watching us grow up together has been such a blessing. These two will forever hold special places in my heart.

What activities have you done throughout your high school career?

I have been in a plethora of activities. Throughout high school, I have been involved in NHS, SGA, and GSA in the past. I have had a heavy musical involvement, including marching band, jazz band, pep band, treble choir, Slater chorale, PMEA festivals (from districts to all-east chorus), and Bangor musicals. Doing the musicals had to be my favorite things to do. From Carrie freshman year to Anastasia senior year, I have had different roles spanning from ensemble in Carrie, to Anya (lead role) in Anastasia. Bangor musicals gave me an environment where I felt supported and gave me a space to grow as a performer. Mr. Di Minico, Mrs. Kranich, and the rest of the staff make every musical they do so detailed, professional, and just flat-out brilliant. I am so fortunate I got to work with them. They helped me get a full tuition scholarship to WVU for musical theatre, and they helped me sing songs I never thought I could (“Journey to the Past”)! I’ve never felt more like I belonged somewhere more than in theatre.