SLATER SPOTLIGHT: KARTER MOBLEY

Cecilia O'Brien, Editor in Chief

Funny and exuberant senior Karter Mobley hopes to take the stage with musical theater. Mobley has used his melodious skills to reach new heights in Bangor’s musical programs.

What are your favorite classes?

My favorite class is Slater Chorale; it is always the best part of my day these past four years. I really like to sing. It’s a lot of fun and a good coping mechanism for me. I also really like how everyone is so supportive of each other in it.

What do you hope to study?

I am going to attend Northampton Community College with an undecided major. After NACC I was planning to transfer somewhere else and perform in their musical theater program. Musical theater interests me a lot.

Describe your ideal life 10 years from now.

I hope (fingers crossed) to be performing in musical theatre, making my way onto Broadway somehow, but I will hopefully have a couple musicals under my belt by then and a family with a puppy.

What is your best high school memory?

My best high school memory was definitely being ensemble in the school play “Les Misérables” last year. Doing that has opened up all the opportunities I had this year. I don’t think I would’ve done anything important this year, if I didn’t do that musical. It was also just so fun being part of something bigger than me and getting to create friendships with people you’d least expect too.

Which band could play the soundtrack to your high school career?

Red Hot Chili Peppers, for sure, because I feel like all their music fits.

If there were a movie made about your high school days, what would be the title and which actor would play your part?

I think the movie would be called “Rags to Riches,” and I think the Rock (Dwayne Johnson) should play my character, since we are basically the same person.

Which events will you miss the most from high school?

I will miss the musical and choir concerts; music has always been a part of my time here in school. It has been like my “sport” throughout these last two years…definitely going to miss it a lot.

Who is your biggest mentor?

Definitely Mr. Di Minico…through my ups and downs he was always there for me, no matter what problem I was dealing with. Without him, I wouldn’t have had any high school accomplishments under my belt at all. He really helped me find my passion for music, and I can’t thank him enough for everything he has taught me over the years.

What is your favorite quote to live by?

“Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.” Whenever I was drained and didn’t feel like practicing, I would always think of this quote because it’s true if you want to get better at anything in life. I remind myself of why I started in the first place.

Who will you remember most in Bangor?

I will remember all the kids in Slater Chorale the most. Those are just my people. I’ve been singing with them for years now, and I cannot wait to come back next year and see the things they all do.

What activities have you done throughout your high school career?

I played football my freshmen year, joined Slater Chorale my sophomore year then started doing musicals my junior year. I have also participated in county choir, district, regional, and state choir. My favorite was definitely musical the past two years because I’ve made some unforgettable memories on that stage with all my friends. Last year, I was an ensemble member, and I was the lead antagonist in this year’s. It was the one thing in high school I did, and I wasn’t given a hard time in by the people also involved with it.  Not only that, but the support from everyone in it really helped me grow even more of a passion for it in the past two years and have fueled me to get better at singing. I also really liked choir, too; I am happy and thankful that I’ve got to sing with such talented people these years. I achieved things in choir that I never thought that I could. And how could I forget about the Disney trip? It was so fun and memorable; I will never forget the amount of fun I had with everyone there.