SLATER SPOTLIGHT: CAYDENCE McLAIN

Daniela Safieva, Reporter

Sweet, funny, and giggly senior Caydence McLain plans to attend Slippery Rock University for occupational therapy. She has participated in many activities including field hockey, class cabinet, choir cabinet, and Leo Club, but her favorite has always been basketball where she learned many life lessons!

What are your favorite classes? 

My favorite class was gym class, just continuously being active at school was fun!

Describe, in detail, your ideal life 10 years from now.

My ideal life 10 years from now is to be successful and living life in the perfect place with my favorite people. My dream is to be a successful stay at home mom, maybe have my own business at some point!

What is your best high school memory?

My best high school memory is definitely when everyone comes together for football games, basketball games. I enjoy our school just coming together and all supporting each other as one, those will always be special core memories!

Which band could play the soundtrack to your high school career?

Guns N’ Roses! Just cause I feel as though my high school career was very wild and all over the place.

If there were a movie made about your high school days, what would be the title and which actor would play your part?

I feel as though the title would have to have something to do with like “My Life is a Movie” or “My Life is a Roller Coaster.” It was just all over the place; one year I was cyber the next was masks, freshman year was cut short—it was all over. I would play the goofy blonde character who is always around but not always involved.

Which event/events will you miss the most?

Football games, gym class, basketball games, choir because of how enjoyable these things were to me. There was never a time I regretted any of it and I will miss the connections more than anything.

Who is your biggest mentor?

London Hoffman the field hockey JV coach! She is family to me and has always been there. She is my godfather’s sister; he passed away and she just has the sweetest soul and the kindest heart. I couldn’t thank her more for everything she has done for me.

What is your favorite quote to live by?

I would either have to pick between “You only live once,” or “Instead of a bad day it’s a bad moment.” Those are two important things I always try to remember to remind myself to live in the moment and not take things so seriously. Bad days don’t last. There’s always a fresh start and whenever something happens it’s not a bad day, you’re having a bad moment that you can get through.

Who will you remember most in Bangor?

I honestly will remember Mr. D. He may be a teacher but he will always be a friend and I don’t know what I’d do without having Mr. D there always.
What activities have you done throughout your high school career?

I have participated in field hockey, basketball, class cabinet, choir cabinet, graduation, Leo Club, powderpuff!

Which of these activities is your favorite and why? 

My favorite was basketball! Freshman year was fun, and I got really close with the girls, sophomore year I didn’t play, junior year was great and I got even closer with the girls and senior year was rough. I broke my wrist on senior night, and I honestly took that as a sign I wasn’t meant to play any longer than I got the chance to. I was a sub; I didn’t get much playing time but no matter what I never stopped cheering my girls on! This matters to me because this was one of the few times in my life where I had to pick myself back up and no one could help me do it. After breaking my wrist, I didn’t really know who I was at that point. I had trouble sometimes and it was difficult. This basketball season taught me self-worth and independence.