SLATER SPOTLIGHT: JANIELLE GILMOUR

Cecilia O'Brien, Editor in Chief

Charismatic senior Janielle Gilmour plans to major in criminal justice and minor in political science at Kutztown University in the fall. Gilmour hopes to continue to express her Slater spirit by changing the world and bringing communities back together through her hard work and determination.

What are your favorite classes? 

I would say that Slater Chorale and American civics are my two favorite class. My favorite thing to do is sing, and I love learning about my country’s history. The thing about Slater Chorale that thrills me is being able to see the passion that people have for singing like I do, and choir has been part of my life since I was in 2nd grade. It will always be something I enjoy. The thing about American civics that thrills me is learning the history of my country and how we even became what we are today.

What are your plans after high school?

After I get my bachelor’s degree, I want to go to law school to become a lawyer and then run for Senate.

Describe your ideal life 10 years from now.

My ideal life in ten years from now is graduating law school and applying to jobs to become a lawyer. After that, I would also buy my own apartment and be able to be financially stable.

What is your best high school memory?

My best high school memory is when I took a class called physical education helper; I got to work with special needs kids. It will always be my favorite memory because those kids were so sweet and were always so positive and happy which would always make me happy seeing them so joyful. I got to become close with all of them and they will always have a special place in my heart.

Which band could play the soundtrack to your high school career?

The band that could play the soundtrack to my high school career is OneRepublic because there is this one song called “Good Life” that I feel relates to my high school career in a way. I say that because even though there were bumpy roads along the way it was also an enjoyable ride and I wouldn’t change anything that happened. I always believed that things happen for a reason and that is why I wouldn’t change a thing.

If there were a movie made about your high school days, what would be the title and which actor would play your part?

The title of the movie would be “The Road to Becoming” starring Bella Ramsey. It is called the “Road to Becoming” because it is about my journey to figure out who I am as a person and my progress throughout high school.

Which events will you miss the most from high school?

The event that I am going to miss the most from high school is the choir concerts because choir has been a part of my life since second grade and it has always been something that makes me happy, and it is something that I have always enjoyed doing. Another reason I am going to miss choir is because of the friendships I have been able to make that I will cherish with me forever.

Who is your biggest mentor?

My biggest mentor is Mr. Di Minico because he has helped me get to where I am right now in the music program, and I could not be more thankful for that. He has taught me that you are going to mess up and make mistakes but that is when you come back and fix those mistakes and come back even stronger.

What is your favorite quote to live by?

“Life does not always go in a straight line. Things get messy and tangled, and our paths twist and turn in many directions. The right things happen at the wrong time and opportunities get passed by. Some things happen that we just cannot understand in the moment no matter how badly we want an answer. // And some things that we wish would happen just never do. Life can be a little messy, but that does not mean that it cannot be wonderful. Because even in the messiness, even in the mistakes and missed chances, even in the midst of not knowing what to do or where to turn, there are still so many beautiful moments. // There is still love and joy and light. There is still laughter and kindness. So maybe life is messy. But maybe, it does not need to be anything else. Maybe it is in all of the messiness that we can see all of the things that matter most of all.” – Nikki Banas

I live by this quote because there is always going to be obstacles that will get in your way. Yet…there is always going to be a light on the other side and that, yes, life is messy, but in a way its good because you’ll make those mistakes and learn from them but you will also have those beautiful, calm moments.

Who will you remember most from Bangor?

The people that I am going to remember the most at Bangor is Kayla Pickens, Luke Gallagher, John Casagrande, Rin Taite-Hoyte, Genna, Jocelyn Sotomayor, Cash Roberts, Austin Seas, Mckayla Angus, Fiona Flatt, Candela Schollhammer, and Bean Cesari. I am going to remember them the most because they all have been the people that have stuck by me this entire year and have always been my biggest supporters. They have all made my senior year so incredible and fun. If it weren’t for them this year, it wouldn’t have been as complete. So, thank you guys for sticking by me and giving me memories that I will carry with me for the rest of my life.

What activities have you done throughout your high school career?

An activity that I have done throughout my high school career is GSA which I have been a part of for two years, and I also was part of Leo club. I was a part of stage crew for Anastasia the Musical. My favorite activity was GSA because that club has always made me feel welcome and it was a way that I could just express myself and just be me. I was the president of GSA this year. My other favorite activity was being a part of stage crew for the musical and a part of the props crew. Being a part of the musical was one of my favorite things in high school because I got to meet and connect with so many people, it also was a lot of fun working with the cast and making so many memorable memories.