SLATER SPOTLIGHT: ABIGAIL MAGUIRE

Daniela Safieva, Reporter

Bubbly, energetic, and friendly senior Abigail Maguire will attend Belmont University to pursue her career in nursing and music. She has been an outgoing student here at Bangor with participation in tennis, basketball, track and field, Student Government, Slater Chorale and much more!

What are your favorite classes?

My favorite classes were definitely AP English Lang with Mr. Madden, AP US Gov with Mrs. Brown, and Slater Chorale with Mr. D. All these classes really pushed me to become a better student and had the best class environments.

What do you hope to study? 

I plan on attending Belmont University in Nashville, TN. There I will study Nursing as well as a Minor in Music Business. I am very passionate about not only nursing, but the music business field and Belmont was the perfect school to develop and education in both. I hope to pursue a career in Nursing, and to see where any possible leads open up in the Music Industry.

Describe, in detail, your ideal life 10 years from now.

My ideal life 10 years from now would consist of traveling the country as a nurse, and pursuing my own music career in my free time. I want to explore the US and other parts of the world as a nurse, and sedentary life isn’t really for me. At 27 I hope that I am still having a blast on my own and with friends, putting my career first and taking advantage of the time I have to myself.

What is your best high school memory?

While I am not sure if I can think of a specific memory, my fondest memories have come from C Lunch both this year and last year. I had some of the best laughs of my life at those tables, and it was where I met some of my best friends since I transferred to Bangor.

Which band could play the soundtrack to your high school career?

If any band could play the soundtrack to my life I would say Lifeboat. This band literally is just the story of my high-school life, and I wrote many of our songs about my experiences as a student in HS.

If there were a movie made about your high school days, what would be the title and which actor would play your part?

I’d make it a documentary about the last few years in the band and call it “Booted.” It’d be about how we came together and everything like that. I think the actress who would play me would be Florence Pugh, probably because she’s one of my favorite actresses and also, she really knows how to stick up for herself in her roles.

Which event/events will you miss the most?

I will miss tennis season so much as Bangor and the Sadie’s Dance. Those were probably my favorite events at Bangor, and I had so much fun participating in both of those.

Who is your biggest mentor?

I would say my biggest mentor has been Mr. Kichline, I felt like I could come to him with any questions I had or if I needed anything he was always able to help me out. I think he also was rooting for me these last few years even if I wasn’t rooting for myself, and that really stood out to me.

What is your favorite quote to live by?

My favorite quote to live by is “Que Será, Será”, a Spanish saying that means “What will be, will be”. I think I like to live by this because I know that whatever is going to happen will happen, good or bad, and that I’m going to get through it. And it teaches me not to try to force or control certain outcomes for my life, but rather to go with the flow.

Who will you remember most in Bangor?

I will absolutely hands down remember Cecilia O’brien the most. I hope this girl is at my wedding and every other important milestone down the line. She has been the greatest friend a girl can ask for and has pushed me to do things I wouldn’t normally do and get out of my comfort zone. I’m a better person because of her. Also, shoutout to my other wonderful friends like Olivia Molenda, Julianna Dotta, Laura Bunn, Abigail Dyssuen, and Claire Martocci. I love all of you so much.

What activities have you done throughout your high school?

I have played tennis, basketball, track and field, volleyball, Student Gov, Slater Chorale, Class Cabinet, Lifeguarding, Waitressing, and a bunch others that I am probably forgetting.

Which of these activities is your favorite?

My favorite activities were definitely tennis and class cabinet. I joined both my junior year of HS just a few months after moving. Tennis was where I met most of my best friends, and I really loved the coach and the environment of it. At the end of my senior year, I received the Most Improved Award. Class Cabinet was also one of my favorite activities because I got to help plan so many of the events of junior and senior year. I worked alongside really creative and quick-thinking people and I had so much fun doing it.