High school flicks to start the school year right

Gabby Zeeman, Editor

Reading, writing, solving problems, and waking up before the sun is no one’s cup of tea. Nobody is a fan of summer ending and school beginning. Although it all may seem dreadful, getting rid of stress and becoming pumped for academics can be as simple as watching some movies set in high school.  

Whip It (2009) 

Bliss’s (Ellen Page) life turns upside down as she breaks away from the beauty pageants and discovers a new favorite hobby – roller-derby.  

Getting out of your comfort zone is definitely a part of a high school and a challenge you’ll encounter throughout life, so don’t be afraid to do something different once in a while. Needless to say, this film provides multiple examples and tips as to prepare for your upcoming school year.  

Bring It On (2000) 

Drama breaks out between the Toros head cheerleader Torrance (Kirsten Dunst) and the Clovers head cheerleader Isis (Gabrielle Union) as it’s revealed that the Toros (unbeknownst to Torrance) have for years, been stealing the championship choreography. With events heating up between the two squads, they learn to not back down, and bring it on.  

Within high school, you’re going to learn that facing your problems, although it may seem harder, is more beneficial than running away from them. This movie will definitely pump you up for the new year and encourage you to face hardships as they come along. 

High School Musical (2006) 

Between school work, basketball, the drama club, and his love life, Troy Bolton (Zac Efron) has to face his friends and family as he finds out his true inner self. As Troy, Sharpay (Ashley Tisdale), Gabriella (Vanessa Hudgens), and the rest of East High sing away their problems and look forward to the future, there’s no task that they cannot tackle.  

Whether you’re roaming the halls, being overwhelmed with school work, or laughing with your close friends, High School Musical is a no doubt famous film that will get you ready for the school year.