SWIM TEAM READY TO MAKE A SPLASH

GG Murgia, Editor

The small, but mighty swim team is looking forward to another successful season. Led by coach Seth Urffer, the team sent every team member to districts last year and the majority of competitors moved on to states.

Each member of the swim team had great success in post-season meets. Standout sophomore Brenek Strawn placed third in both the 100-yard backstroke and 100-yard butterfly at districts. Joining him was junior Morgan O’Brien, who placed second in the 100-yard breaststroke and fourth in the 200-yard individual medley. Additionally, seniors Alex Schwartz and Amelia O’Brien made waves at districts. Schwartz swam his way to ninth place in the 100 breaststroke and twelfth in 50 freestyle, while O’Brien placed third in the 50 freestyle and fifth in the 100 freestyle.

“I think that the biggest thing we want to achieve as a team is to represent our coach and school at the highest level of competition,” senior Amelia O’Brien said. “We were very successful in doing so last season and I definitely think at least one of us can take home a state medal this year.”

In addition to experience, the swim team also benefits from the knowledge that 2017 Lehigh Valley Live’s Swimming Coach of the Year, Coach Urffer brings to the table. As a three-time District 11 qualifier and two-time state qualifier from Parkland, Urffer is a great role model for Slater swimming.

“Coach Urffer is incredible. He is extremely experienced and good at what he does,” O’Brien said. “He really pushes me to succeed and is the first person who said that states was a possibility for me. Overall, I credit my success to him.”

Besides swimming at Nazareth Area High School, members of the team swam year-round as part of a club team to ensure that they were in shape for this upcoming season.

“I started to go to a club swim team during the summer and during the winter so I could work on the technique of my stroke, as well as prepare for the grueling season,” senior Alex Schwartz said.

After months of practice and preparation, the team is more than ready to show their competition all that they have to offer.

“I am most excited for districts and states; getting to represent my school at such fast meets is so exciting and fun,” O’Brien said. “Overall, I plan on giving it my all, but enjoying myself along the way as well.”

With two very skilled seniors, as well as competitive teammates O’Brien and Strawn, the team is well on its way to yet another victorious season.

“I hope that we can have 100% of our team continue on to states this year,” Schwartz said. “I think we all have a good shot at making it this year because of the great amount of talent we have.”

Slater swimming’s road to states begins next Tuesday December 19 at 4 p.m. against Allentown Central Catholic.