POWDERPUFF PLAYERS READY TO RUMBLE

Crisp air, falling leaves, braids pulled tight… it is game time. 

The annual series of powderpuff games will take place on Friday, November 10, with girls of all classes going head to head on the gridiron. 

Each grade is currently tackling the intense preparation that it will take to win. 

SENIORS HOPE TO FINALLY SECURE CHAMPIONSHIP

By: Chris Youngkin

A time of challenge, contention…of comradery. Powderpuff season has begun and the Class of 2018, coached by Mr. Andrew Krohn and Mr. Brad Madden, is laser-focused on victory.

Every school year, powderpuff showcases the abilities of the strongest, the sharpest females from each grade in a game of flag football.

The seniors know this time all too well, and have been preparing throughout high school for this moment. After last year’s heart stopping 13-12 loss with the Class of 2017, the seniors have come back more determined than ever to take home the gold this year.

Their first step, maintain focus. With every practice, rain or shine, the team reviewed the plays over and over again, until they lived and breathed flag football.

In fact, the team has become so well acclimated to the playbook that they are now taking time to analyze their competition.

“I believe our biggest competition was the Class of 2017… no one this year appears to be worthy enough to be crushed,” senior Coach Brad Madden joked. “All kidding aside, I saw every team out their practicing in the pouring rain–so people are going to be ready to rock. The competition will be fierce.”

While, they do talk tough, the seniors certainly have the wo-manpower to back their words up.

Jaclyn Hess, the team’s quarterback—the authority on the field and a powderpuff veteran—is a superb decision maker, who not only bleeds maroon and white, but has a mind built to dominate in football.

The threat does not end there, as both their defense and offense create a formidable enemy. Two-way player Amelia O’Brien is a cornerback and wide receiver; the stalwart senior provides a significant boost to the Class of 2018’s chance of victory.

To kick off the evening, the seniors will take on the freshmen.

“They will likely be intimidated by us, because they simply do not have enough experience on the field,” Coach Madden said.

He admitted though, that “the possibility still exists, of a freshmen win… they have surprised the competition in the past with a championship—although, Mr. Krohn and I coached that team over 10 years ago.”

JUNIOR POWDERPUFF SEEKS VICTORY   

By: Sunshyne Furlow 

Led by Mrs. Buck and Mr. Ziegenfuss, who have been coaching for three years, the junior powderpuff team has been practicing for two weeks in hopes to gel as a team. They are also focused on aggressiveness for game night. 

Coach Buck particularly enjoys the unique experience provided by powderpuff.     

“It gives the girls an opportunity to involve themselves in a sport that is typically known as ‘male dominated’,” Buck said.  

Buck’s expectations for the game is very high; she believes that her team is definitely going to win. 

“I don’t have to motivate my team,” Buck said. “They motivate themselves, they want to win. They love learning about football.” 

Buck believes her biggest competition will be the seniors and possibly the freshmen. 

“For their first year, I’ve seen the freshmen team play and they aren’t that bad,” Buck said.  

Overall, the spirited juniors have high hopes for championship glory.  

SOPHOMORE POWDERPUFF READY TO COMPETE 

By: Sara Phillips 

Led by Cliff Salvemini and Jillian Matthews, the sophomore powderpuff players are planning to make a comeback this year with continuous preparation. 

Losing both games last year, the team is aware of what they need to work on and are ready to improve as they learn from previous mistakes. 

“In practices, more offensive plays must be gone over in order to get a touchdown this year,” cornerback Gioia Beltrano said.  

Even though Coach Matthews is new to the staff, she is no novice to powderpuff. 

“I was the powderpuff quarterback in high school, so I am hoping I can bring some insight to the team,” Matthews said. “We will stress offense so that the girls can run the plays efficiently.” 

The social aspect of the game has also been deemed very important to the girls.  

“Powderpuff gives girls a chance to play a sport that is not usually associated with females and you get to work with and meet a lot of new people which makes it a really great experience,” safety Morgan Karasek said.  

Though the team only has one year of experience, they will be sure to put up a fight. 

FRESHMEN POWDERPUFF PREPARES FOR FIRST GAME 

By: Deidra Prata 

Led by Miss Schiavone and Mrs. Branning, the freshmen powderpuff team is ready to kick off this season. 

Practicing for the last two and a half weeks, the team has been conditioning, scrimmaging, and learning new plays to prepare for the upcoming competition. 

Despite a lack of experience, the freshmen are rallying around quarterback Nicole Smith. 

“I plan to show positive leadership skills to guide my team to a victory by helping them execute our plays and having our defense stop the senior offense,” Smith said.  

Despite being new to the game, these girls are more than excited for their first experience in powderpuff.  Working as a team to accomplish their goal of winning, the girls are learning new skills and aspects of teamwork. 

“I expect us to work well together and communicate because that is key for playing the game,” lineman Madison Burke said.  

Although the team has not played a powderpuff game before, they will definitely give their competition a run for their money as their expectations are high for the game.