CHEERLEADING SENIOR NIGHT HONORS TWO SPIRITED SLATERS

Katie Snyder, Reporter

Enthusiastic crowds cheered and applauded as co-captains Martina Sell and Hailey Setzer walked across the football field with their parents at the start of senior night, October 13.

Both cheerleaders have been cheering side by side since they were six, and now that they are seniors, they look back on their memories together, and prepare for their future plans.

“I started cheerleading when I was in kindergarten because my brother played football and I wanted to be involved in the same type of activity as him,” Sell said.

As time went on, not only did Sell cheer, but she also participated in cross country, track, and recreational softball.

Being an active Slater, Sell is the treasurer of SGA, treasurer of senior class cabinet, a member of National Honor Society, and Spanish Honor Society as well.

“My favorite memory from cheerleading is the camp I attended during my junior year because we learned a lot while having fun with my teammates and other teams,” Sell said.

During the cheerleading camp, the cheerleaders have different classes that range from cheers to stunting. Whenever they are not in class, they prepare for their competition on the last day, which every team is involved in. Free time is spent practicing the material they learned in order to try out for the All-American Team.

“Martina is very hard-working, and a natural born leader. She always takes charge of things, and always gives 110% effort. She has a lot of school pride, and always strives for excellence as an individual and a team,” teammate Anjali Sareen said.

When Sell graduates, she hopes to attend either Lehigh University or Muhlenburg College for four years to study business.

“I do not plan on cheering in college, although it would be fun, because I want to focus on running,” Sell said.
Setzer started to cheer after she watched her older sister, and her best friend, Maddie Hess encouraged her to cheer as well.

“My favorite memory from cheerleading was decorating the football player’s houses before the big Bangor vs. Pen Argyl game,” Setzer said.

Decorating the football player’s houses is one of the ways the cheerleaders hype the players up before the big game. The pep rally is another fun event where the cheerleaders show off their routines to get everyone excited for the game the next day.

“Hailey works very hard, and always wants us to succeed as a team and for herself. She has a lot of school spirit, and from what I can tell, she has a lot of Slater pride,” teammate Madison Zukie said.

In the future, Setzer plans to cheer for Bloomsburg University, where she will study nursing or child education.

As their cheering days for Bangor comes to an end, Bangor students wish these two seniors luck as they begin a new chapter in their lives.