BEAM ME UP, with Chris Youngkin

Egoism in Star Trek: “Charlie X” (S1:E5 OS)

Chris Youngkin, Reporter

Hey guys, yes, I am back with a new article and, if you think that you are too good to read it, you have come to the right place. Today we are going to look at the tendency to be selfish— egoism. 

“Charlie X,” the Enterprise is investigating the recent pickup of Charles Evans, a teenage boy, by a cargo ship. 

Charlie is beamed aboard, and from the start is seen as a peculiar character. The crew dismisses these initial feelings, and decide to take him to one of Earth’s many colonies, where Charlie could lead a normal life. En route to the colony, the crew begins to realize that Charlie is not merely human, but has the supernatural ability to make any one object or human disappear to another dimension.  

Herein is the underlaying philosophy egoism, the theory that self-interest is the only motivation for one’s actions. This theory derives from the ancient Greeks, and was further tossed around for a millennia or two, where its recent media spotlight in Star Trek highlights its unwavering lifespan. 

There is no better testament to egoism’s lifespan than episode “Charlie X”. Charles beams aboard the Enterprise—the average teenager. As a teenager, he holds certain interests: his first love, the need for a father figure, and the desire for control over a situation.  This ability enables him to dictate who can and who cannot interfere with his thoughts—forcing the world to bend to his interests.  

Throughout it all, it was Kirk who always kept Charlie in check. Kirk attempts to restrain Charlie, until Charlie is subdued by the authority figures of his own blood.  

In this case egoism runs parallel to the high school experience—permeating each grade without discriminating upon age, origin, et cetera.  Students here want that car, those friends— boy/girl-friend, that high paying job, but have to realize one thing: the world does not revolve around them. In simpler terms, yes, there will be resistance/friction along the way, but that is just how the game of life works. Be patient and keep playing until these interests are met.