MABUS AND SELL CROWNED KING AND QUEEN

Allyson Heard, Editor

Kyle Mabus and Martina Sell were crowned 2017 homecoming king and queen, and the Slater Nation wouldn’t have it any other way.

Leading up to the homecoming pep rally was the annual homecoming parade, which featured the members of the homecoming court riding in style on top of a tractor trailer and senior athletes trailing behind high fiving mini-Slaters as they made their way from the middle school to the high school. 

After the homecoming parade, Akash Sareen, Ryan Bailey, and Emily Kolankiewicz introduced each member of the homecoming court, starting with the Kaley Casagrande, Lauren Haffling, Alyson Kiss, Julie Rocco, and Martina Sell and ending with Haakon Mathewson, Isaac Oxford, Ryan Rutt, Chuckie Whitehead, and Kyle Mabus.  

As the candidates were slowly called out, everyone’s heart raced excitedly while they waited to hear who would be their king. 

School sweetheart Kyle Mabus was crowned as the 2017 homecoming king and the gymnasium erupted in cheers from both students and staff as Mabus took his royal throne. 

“I was extremely honored to be crowned by my President, Mr. Ryan Bailey. I’m thankful and blessed to be a Slater,” Mabus said. 

Mabus received a lot of support from his friends and the community over his win. 

“I was extremely thrilled when Kyle won. It was a ‘Proud Dad’ moment for me. He is royalty, bow down,” senior Hunter Kish said. 

Later that night, the newest Slater queen was announced during halftime of the football game. 

A thrilled Slater Nation cheered Martina Sell as the crown was placed upon her head.  

“I obviously felt happy and proud to be crowned queen, but also overwhelmed by how much support I receive from the community,” Sell said. 

Her kindhearted, caring, and hardworking personality won the hearts of fellow Slaters as they deemed her fit to be queen.  

“I was so unbelievably happy Martina won queen. Kylee Will and I went absolutely crazy when they announced her name,” senior Olivia Groller said. “She deserved it so much. She’s so sweet and involved with so much at the school. It was a true proud friend moment.” 

Sell and Mabus are the perfect combination to represent the school and community, and the Slaters cannot wait to see how they will continue to lead their peers during their final year at Bangor High.