WALLACE TO PURSUE CAREER IN BIOLOGY

GG Murgia, Editor

Senior Anne Wallace has spent her high school career juggling everything from marching band to bird watching, all while maintaining an astonishing 105.41 GPA. 

Playing the alto saxophone in the marching band, Wallace has enjoyed showcasing her musical talent for the past 4 years. 

“I joined marching band freshman year after the hundreds of assurances my family gave me of how rewarding it would be,” Wallace said. “Ever since I joined, I’ve perceived marching band as a physical, mental, and emotional challenge that I have the privilege to share with my band family.” 

Now that her senior year has come around, Wallace is sad that this will be her last year performing, but she will cherish the memories she has made. 

“What I’ll miss most about marching band will be the inherent comradery within the alto saxophone section, in addition to the awesome puns we created,” Wallace said. 

In addition to having a strong passion for band, Wallace also devotes a surplus of her time to school; spending approximately 2-3 hours each night on homework. 

“I am motivated to do well in school due to a combination of being interested in certain subjects and simply being ambitious with other subjects,” Wallace said. 

Over the past 13 years of schooling, Wallace has developed a strong love for science, specifically biology. 

“My favorite class is AP Biology,” Wallace said. “The intriguing curriculum, combined with a very passionate and knowledgeable teacher (Mr. Hobbs), really made the class come to life for me.” 

Due to her appreciation for science, it’s no surprise that Mr. Hobbs, Mr. Hachtman, and Mr. Thomas have all played a huge role in her high school career. 

“They have all influenced me in such unique ways,” Wallace said. “Mr. Hobbs cultured my passion for birds and interest in genetics, Mr. Hachtman has always helped and encouraged me to pursue exciting areas of research, while Mr. Thomas has taught me so many interesting things in ecology.”  

With the encouragement from her teachers, Anne is excited to follow her passion for biology as she furthers her education at Brigham Young University in Utah. 

“I plan on attending Brigham Young University because of their unique genetics program and the possible opportunity to study ornithology (study of birds),” Wallace said. 

As Wallace leaves the nest and migrates to Utah, she will surely soar above the rest.