SUCCESSFUL CROSS COUNTRY SEASON RUNS ITS COURSE

Kaley Casagrande, Reporter

The BHS Varsity Cross Country team finished the season exactly how they started, strong and determined. Ever since their debut at the Lion Invitational at Moravian Academy September 1, Slater runners have proven themselves a force to be reckoned with.

With Senior Martina Sell finishing in 5th place overall for the girls, and Morgan O’Brien finishing 6th for the boys, these Slaters quickly made their name known in the Colonial League and beyond as well as their teams.

“Being able to medal at meets is representative of the quality and success of Bangor Cross Country. It shows that even though our school is not the largest or most recognized in the area, we can still work hard and achieve our goals as well as anyone out there,” O’Brien said.

This momentum only continued the following week at the Cross Country teams Wilson meet. The Slaters had an overall successful appearance as two Slaters claimed gold.

Sell and O’Brien once again took the the pedestal but this time claiming 1st place overall and setting a course record. Close behind was sophomore Marino Bubba in 2nd and senior Hunter Kish finishing in 8th.

A short 3 days later, again both the boys and girls teams took to the course at DeSales University in the DeSale’s Invitational. Sell proudly placed 3rd place, O’Brien took 19th, and Bubba took 21st. Standout freshman Gabe Lawler came in 1st overall for the freshmen race.

The following week the Slater Cross Country teams had their first and only home meet, which doubled as senior night.

For the girls, seniors Meghan Barone, Braie Haycock, Jolene Miller, Amelia O’Brien, Jessica Plate, and Martina Sell were honored for their dedication to their team and sport.

Christopher Giani, Dean Huth, Hunter Kish, Alex Schwartz, Saber Singleton, and Colby Toth were also honored for their final season as Slater runners.

To finish a successful senior night, Sell finished 1st while O’Brien finished 4th. Both the boys and girls teams came out of the meet with a record of 2-2 as the girls beat Saucon Valley by just one point.

“Now that the season is over, I am going to miss my teammates, coaches, and especially the environment I was surrounded by,” senior Meghan Barone said.

In one of their more challenging courses races of the season, the cross country girls finished out 2-1 while the boys finished undefeated 3-0 in their Pen Argyl meet. Sell took 1st while Bubba finished 2nd.

In the sweltering heat the following week, Bubba and Sell finished strong in 1st place at Northwestern Lehigh. The girls went 3-2 while the boys were undefeated at 5-0.

At their meet at Saucon Valley, the Slater girls finished 1-3 while the boys went 3-1. Sell took 1st place overall along side Bubba who took 3rd.

In their final regular season meet, both boys and girls finished 2-1 at Catasuaqua. Bubba finished 2nd as Sell finished 1st one last time in her senior regular season.

With the season dwindling down, both teams competed in the Colonial League Championship. Sell finished in 1st overall for girls with a time of 20 minutes and 15 seconds on the 3.1 mile course.

Sell finished ahead of Notre Dame freshman Grace Medei by 11 seconds. Bubba placed in 6th, O’Brien in 17th, Hunter Kish in 22nd, and Chris Giani in 27th.

The Slater cross country team then prepared themselves for what might be the last race of their high school career, districts. Two of Bangor’s very own placed, qualifying for states.

Sell finished with a time of 20 minutes and 14 seconds while Bubba finished at 17 minutes and 26 seconds making them both eligible for states.

In Hershey November 4, Sell placed 22nd with a time of 19 minutes and 54 seconds. Bubba finished 103rd with a time of 17 minutes and 12 seconds.

Sell now proudly stands next to Bangor alumni Gina Lucrezi and Meredith Colton who took 16th and 24th in states in 2000 and 2012.