GRAZIANO ASSISTS WITH ‘SHREK THE MUSICAL JR.’

Sarah Long, Reporter

Gianna Graziano’s love for musical theatre has driven her to guide the middle schoolers in their production of ‘Shrek the Musical Jr.’

“My interest in theatre began when I was 11 years old when I was introduced to the movie ‘Les Miserables’. I noticed it was all singing and it caught my attention and I immediately wanted to see more,” Graziano said. “I found out that this musical movie was on Broadway and this was my first look into the world of Broadway musicals.”

Graziano’s reassurance of her future passion occured when she turned 13.

“My mom took notice of my interest in musical theatre and took me to my first musical on Broadway. We had orchestra fifth row seats and I just remember being in complete awe the entire time. I couldn’t believe how talented these people were. I just had to be part of it,” Graziano said.

The spiritual effect of theatre makes Graziano’s love for the experience even greater.

“What I like so much about theatre is the joy it can bring to all different kinds of people. It can put a smile on anyone’s face or make them feel a different way,” Graziano said. “Theatre takes you on a two-hour emotional journey and the raw talent and emotion floods through the theatre, leaving you speechless everytime.”

To help spread the joy, Graziano also assisted behind the scenes in the middle school’s rendition of ‘Shrek the Musical Jr.’.

“I was the assistant director and choreographer. This means teaching the blocking (where actors go on stage in scenes), and teaching the dance moves to the musical numbers. My mom and I were also in charge of the hair and makeup for the show,” Graziano said.” This was my second year helping out with hair and makeup, but my first with the directing and choreography.”

Helping the middle schoolers with their own production gave Graziano a sense of nostalgia.

“Helping out with the middle school was so much fun because I remember looking up to the high schoolers that helped out when I was in the middle school. Being able to do that and inspire seventh and eighth graders was so bittersweet,” Graziano said.

Not only was it fun for Graziano, but the involvement also gave her some knowledge on the theatre business for future reference.

“This gave me experience for college in case I need to direct and choreograph down the road,” Graziano said.

Graziano tries to get as involved as she can with theatre program at the high school.

“’Ragtime’ was my favorite because I thought the casting and plot line was so spot on. The community needed something like ‘Ragtime’ to bring us all together,” Graziano said.

Graziano is hopeful that musical theatre will continue to be a part of her life.

“My dream since I was 13 is to be on Broadway. I’ve seen 13 shows and counting. Each one is a reminder of what I want to do after high school. I’m always learning and doing my research on what’s on Broadway and behind the scenes of the Broadway community,” Graziano said. “The shows make people laugh, cry, and grow. I want to help do that for others through acting, singing, and dancing just as all these hard working performers do eight times a week.”