SLATERS STAND WITH MARJORY STONEMAN DOUGLASS HIGH SCHOOL 

Allyson Heard, Editor in Chief

Following the tragic school shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglass High School in Parkland, Flordia, students all over the country got together to stand up against school violence to organize a school-wide walkout. On Wednesday, March 14 students at Bangor Area High School who wish to participate and show their respect to the 17 lives lost can go to the gymnasium and partake in a memorial assembly. 

“This event is meant to be a safe, risk-free way for students to honor the victims of school shootings in our country in the wake of the attacks on Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, ” sophomore class cabinet president Marino Bubba said. “It is also meant to promote a safe, friendly, and healthy school community here at Bangor Area High School. This event is in no way political; it is merely a memorial and a chance to make our school the best it can possibly be.” 

The event will take place from 9:45 a.m. to approximately 10:25 a.m. with two student led speeches, a candle lighting ceremony, the presentation “Seventeen Ways to Promote a Positive School Environment,” and a seventeen-minute moment of silence to honor the victims of the shooting in Parkland, Florida. 

“Participation in the event is voluntary, and classes will continue. Students who choose to attend the event will not be penalized for missing class, provided they follow the established rules. We have discussed and planned for the event to be secure and that students are in a safe environment inside the building during the activity,” Ms. Gary said. 

Students are encouraged to wear maroon to represent the community at BHS and in honor of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, whose school colors are also maroon. 

“This event is completely voluntary, classes will continue uninterrupted for any student not wishing to participate in the walkout, but administration has assured that no student will be penalized in any way, shape, or form if they choose to be a part of the event. The purpose of this event is not to divide the school, but to bring us together,” Bubba said.